Looking for Cracked (Yes, Cracked!) Tail Housing/Extension Housing for 4x4 ZF5 Trans!

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellas - I'm rebuilding a 4WD ZF5 S47 for my 1987 crew cab diesel dually project and I need a ZF5 4x4 tail housing/extension housing. I'm probably not going to buy an un-cracked extension housing because these are bringing $600+ and I can buy a complete ZF5 4x4 trans for $800 or so and just harvest the extension housing.

Before I source a complete trans, I thought I'd check with y'all to see if you know of anyone who might have a cracked ZF5 4x4 extension housing that I could buy for a reasonable price and then repair it myself. There was one on FB MP that I just missed out on, but these should be out there, since it seems that cracked ones are common.

Thanks!

Scott

You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ironically, I have one. It's still attached to the trans, and I have a uncracked one that I've been lazy to put on. How soon do you need it?

The two eyelets at the bottom for the cross member are ripped out, but if I remember right the rest is in good shape. It's an s42, is it compatible?

bulletpruf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I have one. It's still attached to the trans, and I have a uncracked one that I've been lazy to put on. How soon do you need it?

The two eyelets at the bottom for the cross member are ripped out, but if I remember right the rest is in good shape. It's an s42, is it compatible?

If the eyelets are ripped out, that's a bit more of a repair than I want to tackle. Hoping to find something with hairline cracks. Thanks

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If the eyelets are ripped out, that's a bit more of a repair than I want to tackle. Hoping to find something with hairline cracks. Thanks
Fair enough. It isn't going anywhere in case you change your mind.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has the 460 bolt pattern, but for $500 including a transfer case I figure it’s well worth the hassle. I’d probably buy it myself if it was near me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx