Clutch problem

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that was tgtbt, Napa is getting this luk clutch back. It still slips above 10 lbs boost.
My last one never slipped. And it saw lots of heavy towing Very disappointed.

Any recommendations???

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came from Carolina clutch and it's still holding well. Saw 20 psi on my last turbo no slips and is now holding now with your factory set up and intercooler 90cc and stage1's at 10psi(current unknown issues with something somewhere for low boost)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought... remove the rubber stopper pad from the clutch pedal box so the clutch pedal goes up 1/4" more and see if that makes a difference.

I really wonder if your master/slave isn't "pumping up" and holding the throwout in slightly even when the pedal is fully up.
One way to check this would be after having it slip, go under the truck and push against the slave cylinder rod/clutch fork by hand. It should take some force, but slowly retract as you push on it as the fluid gets moved back into the master. When you release it, it should slowly go back to where it was originally.

Anyone know what clutch Justin was using on the Bronco? I thought that was a LuK clutch, and that was holding 400+ HP and 50 psi of boost.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've already done all the pedal stuff it wasn't that.
I wish it was

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it’s not really a help but I’ve had no trouble with my luk clutch so far and pretty much the only thing my truck has done is tow the camper.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Luke went over 10 years and it held good enough I ripped the center out of it. This new one did not look like the same stamping or anything, it had that name on it but it's definitely not the same quality.

centennial60

Reaction score
LUKs quality going down the drain too? I remember reading a post by south bend saying that the 13" PSD clutch disks have a stronger center and dampening setup. I know going that route really opens up the options.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly question, but did you have the flywheel surfaced before changing out the clutch? I don't run many manuals but I've found this is cheap insurance to make sure the new disk seats well against the flywheel.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to see if it's just a failure of some kind and just replace it with the same thing, if you can see an obvious reason for the issue. Maby something is preventing the pressure plate from pressing it right?

My LuK kit is working great in my '93; I haven't had any slipping issues even dumping the clutch.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see if there are any physical differences between the old and new clutch components. Something this dramatic should have some clues. Damaged springs, different casting/stamping...something. Hopefully it was just a one-off and the replacement works properly.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take some pictures when you get it out, I have an older luk here in the shop that got replaced by a southbend. Ill post some pictures and we can see whats changed.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a few pictures of the Luke clutch I put in a few years back

You must be registered for see images attach

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not the cause in your case but I've had the same happen to me after I had one of my return lines break and spill diesel down the back of the engine. I took off the inspection cover and sprayed brake cleaner up to clean what I could. Stopped the slipping.

I will add I did the pstroke master/slave with the hard line. Came pre-bled and easy install. There is a little heat shield sock to slip over the slave where the cross over pipe comes near it. Made a big difference in clutch feel when hot. No issue now because I'm running r&d pstroke style up pipes and header.