Clutch problem

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I have always been happy with my Fort Wayne clutch. I think it's a 12 or 12 and a half. Came with flywheel for $450. That was some years ago so who knows now. But it's the kind of place you call and talk to the guy and see what he can set you up with.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert on clutches but I am not at all pleased with my LUK. The install was done by a local shop and they had to replace the NEW TO bearing twice at their expense, and they actually warrantied the entire clutch kit once because the mechanic doing the work didn't like how part of the clutch assembly looked. This extra work was all done on their dime so I don't think they were jerkin' me around. I deeply regret having the LUK installed and not going with a SouthBend. And my current TO bearing is starting to make noise after just a few months. Maybe it was the shop but I think a problem on the manufacturing end is just as plausible. Just my 0.02

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have an update. The clutch is oil soaked. It came from trans. So I did some deep investigating, turns out the new shift tower kit, which includes bushings, boot and cover, has no vent slit in the rubber,
This explains the slipping only at 190* and above.
When it warmed up it would push oil past the input seal. When I lifted the case half off to replace seal the shaft was oily past the seal.
So im going to tap the case for a diff vent so it has no pressure again
SO fyi, check or make a slit in the new ***** on the shift tower.
Ill let you know how I like the phoenix friction clutch.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only because a buddy has a big lift..lol