Cleaning up engine parts - is RUG a good solvent?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm trying to be as low budget as I can, I have this turbo kit I stole from a wrecker in Corvalis :) and it has some oil and gunk on it. I don;t want to spend $8.00/gallon on 104 flash solvent to clean it up before I bolt it on - is gasoline going to mess the plastics up if I just wipe them with a rug soaked rag?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go get some paint thinner at lowes or home depot, good ol mineral spirits.

I dont like gas, been on fire once, not fun

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Body on fire = not good.....

been there and done that....still need a good fire extinguisher for my vehicles....any recommendations?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me, right leg, 25 years ago not fun. gooooood painkillers tho.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i used to use gas to clean everything but not really anymore. never had a problem myself but just the fumes are a concern now not to mention the fire hazard.

i usually use a degreaser and pressure washer for the real gunk and carb cleaner and a brush to finish up. ATF or diesel are good solvents to use that are much less flash prone.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back years ago we used to use a mix of #2 and gasoline, its an excellent solvent and the #2 helped with the volatility and vaporization of the gas. However it was still extremely flammable and looking back at it I dont think immersing your hands in that is all that great of an idea for long term health effects.

So, is it a good solvent, yes it is, but there are other considerations such as health and safety that out weigh the economic factors.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
forgot to mention but my dad ended up in the hospital for a short time with some weird blood problem and no energy. he has regularly cleaned parts with gas since a kid with no protection. they mentioned (seperate of him telling them) that could be one of the causes of his problem since they couldn’t find anything else wrong. all the gas soaking his spin repeatedly for years apparently did something.

i listen to the warnings more now, even started wearing ear and eye protection:D

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yep I'd be using rubber gloves and eye protection no matter what solvent I decided upon. Having a background in medicine makes me a bit too cautious at times - or so I'm told.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Time was when gas the recommended solvent. I can still read in the Model T service manual where it says to wash parts in gasoline.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
(short version)
take a liter of veggie oil and mix 160ml of methoxide let set for 8 to 10 hrs and now you have 1 liter of B100. good stuff to clean with;Sweet

madison069

Reaction score
I use that oven cleaner called Easy Off, it been great breaking down all of the cooked on oil and such.

I usually break the big stuff off then spray it with the easy off, then usuing a wire brush broke the rest of the baked on oil. Then some water and we are good to go!