changing steering pump reservoir

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What all is involved in changine the steering pump reservoir on a 92? ive done this once before but I cant remember for the life of me how that thing comes apart and goes back together. I seem to remember something about the high pressure hose holding it on, but that's pretty sketchy. I'm doing the hydroboost bit and I'm trying to decide wether I want to swap the dual inlet back on there or just T the return lines together
Thanks-------Robert

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the dual port reservoir. Just take the lines off, then the reservoir is held on by the oring that seals it. I think you also have to unscrew the high pressure fitting as well.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the dual port reservoir. Just take the lines off, then the reservoir is held on by the oring that seals it. I think you also have to unscrew the high pressure fitting as well.

i think your right if you look i the tech section under hydro boost it tells you how to do it

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the hydroboost mod on my 94 and it's great, stops on a dime:sly. I went with the dual resorvior and it was pretty easy to do the swap with the pump on the truck. One thing I'm not too happy with is the pedal hieght, it's the same as the clutch so when going from the accelerator to the brake pedal I have to lift my foot a little higher than what I would think is normal. I'm planning on shimming the hydro about 1.5" from the fire wall to lower the pedal.

V.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Yes, the reservoir has the large o-ring, and the high pressure fitting keeps them together. That's why on an older pump, the side of the reservoir opposite the pressure fitting will have play/looseness when you push on it, worn o-ring

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK, so my brain hasn't completely frazzled out ...yet LOL when I pop that high pressure hose off, the cover will pry right off.. Got a cover on order Napa will have me one this afternoon. If it's that simple, no reason not to. I already went with all new hoses and a new redhead steering gear box to go with it might as well pitch a few extra bucks for a pump tank.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, In the last two days I've found something interesting. As of this moment, the dual return reservoir is not available anywhere unless someone has an old stock laying around. Aparantly all teh current stock is screwed up on the part numbers and you can only get it as a completepump, but you can't get just the cover. There's only basically one outfit that makes them and sells them under a handful of names and the current catalogs are ALL screwed up paper and computer. I went to napa and they got me one and it came with one return, checked and double checked all the numbers sure enough it's supposed to have 2, they checked teh warehouse, it wasn't a fluke, they're all that way, had the guy at Advance order one in, their picture showd two returns, it came in this morning with only one as well and identical packiging although supposedly different manufacturer.

So I'm out of luck for having a dual return tank unless I can get my plastic welder fired up and attach a nipple to the tank. in the mean time it looks like I'm going to have to T the return lines together. Gates lists that as an acceptable plumbing setup for a hydroboost installation, so I'm good with it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Robert.... I'm thinking any wrecking yard with any hydroboost trucks or big ford sedans will have the hrdroboost power steering resivours you want.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robert.... I'm thinking any wrecking yard with any hydroboost trucks or big ford sedans will have the hrdroboost power steering resivours you want.

None of the boneyards around here have the f450/superdutys. I scavanged my hydroboost unit out of a GM.
There's a big truck boneyard a hundred miles round trip out of the way that has a few f700 buses and beverage trucks but they may or may not have the same type of reservoir. I'm thinking they have teh larger cylinder tank jobs

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I have one a spare one but probably too far away. You could also go all out and throw in the Saginaw pump out of a late 70s Lincoln with hydro boost but you would also need the brackets.....