Power Steering pump? Need confirmation please

SmokeStacker

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of getting my truck running after sitting for about 6 years. Many things have to be done but I think I'll get into that on another thread.
It's a 92 F350 Ambulance, 7.3 idi n/a, e40d, 2 door, rwd, dually.

I removed the serpentine belt to clean some rust off the pulleys, and afterward I noticed the power steering pump had fluid leaking from behind the pulley.

Could this be from me TURNING the pulley while I was cleaning it???

Also, maybe it's from moving the truck when it wasn't running? (turning the wheel while pushing it with the tractor)

I found a pump on rockauto that's a "Motorcraft -over 8500gvw"

I've read I need a pulley puller or something, but I think I can borrow one from a buddy.

My question is:
-
Do I need to replace the whole pump?
-Or is there a seal that went and that's all I need?
-Do I need to replace the lines too?
-Do I need to flush it first? Can that be done with the seal leaking?
-Can I replace it without the truck running yet?

Thanks so much in advance! I've read every post on here about power steering, but I just want to be sure before I order a pump. I've already spent over $1200 on parts this week and I'm almost out of money.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes fluid will spill when turning the wheels without it running, usually out of the reservoir

does your ambulance have vacuum or hydrobooster?

SmokeStacker

Reaction score
I'm not sure, is there a way to check? It's manufacture date is Feb/92. I think it's NOT hydroboost, but just guessing.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's been sitting for 6 years I would definitely flush the system. A few feet of plastic tubing from the hardware store and a barbed coupler, I can't recall the size ATM, and setup a pan or bucket to catch the old stuff. Type F p/s fluid is pretty cheap so why take a chance on old fluid.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Turning the pulley would not cause a leak unless the seal is bad. Turning the steering wheel while pushing/towing as IDIdoit said, will cause fluid to come out the top.

Perhaps you get it running and see what happens. Determine if the seal is bad.

If you change the pump do the hoses, why chance those failing while it was already apart.

Rent, buy, or borrow a power steering pulley puller/installer so you don’t damage the pulley. You later will need it for a vacuum pump replacement.

Let us know how it goes and send some pics.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online