Carrier/facet pump observations

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Something isn't right. Air can't be introduced on the pressure side. Air is coming in from the suction side somewhere. Possibly the Facet fuel bowl, as someone mentioned previously.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the output from the Facet connected to the port marked "IN" on the side of the regulator. I have a hose connected from the port on the opposite side of the regulator which is marked "OUT" and that hose then runs to the inlet on the factory filter head. I have the port on the bottom of the regulator, which is marked "RET", connected with a hose to a tee fitting in the feed line hose running from the steel fuel line on the frame to the inlet on the fuel pump. I used permatex hi-temp thread sealer on all fittings and they sure seem to be air tight.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your ports are routed right, but I screw the regulator right into the outlet of the filter head instead of the inlet, that way it’s regulating the pressure the pump sees not what the filter sees. I think the facet bowl is a good place to start for checking for air intrusion

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Wes (and bbjordan too). I understand the reasoning to having the regulator after the filter. I still have the hard line connecting the outlet of the filter head to the inlet of the IP, so I was avoiding re-engineering that while I continue testing the 40290 pump. I will do a little more checking of the filter bowl o-ring seal to the pump body. The bowl seemed tight, but that certianly seems a logical place to look again.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re almost there! You’ve got all the hard parts to have a pretty bullet proof fuel setup especially since the volume seems there now, it’s just that annoying last 5% of a project that seems to take 95% of the time. I’m sure you’ll work out the bugs and be done with it soon, thanks for keeping us posted.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
So Wes I think I see the error of my 1st set up that was so easily airlocked. Putting the regulator after the filter as you are describing means the orficed air bleed in the filter head will take care of any trapped air.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The level in the fuel bowl is a common observation on the facet pumps. I personally think it’s more indicative of suction side restriction. I think there is always some air gap in the bowl. When you pull more fuel you change the pressure of the liquid and the air gap expands but the pressure of the air reduces so it’s not pulling more air into the system, it’s just changing the volume the air occupies and hence the pressure of the air. I think as long as you don’t pull the bowl completely empty, you won’t actually pull air into the fuel system. It’s more of a ballast tank is how I see it.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the regulator set to 7 psi at idle. I would then have about 5-6 psi at general cruising down flat road. However, the performance of this pump seems to have deteriorated, and heavy throttle on hill will now peg the fuel pressure gauge to zero, but the restricted filter light never comes on (and it is working). The pressure is pretty erratic too, with regular 2-3 psi pressure swings with no change in throttle input. So, I pulled out the 40290 pump and regulator, and put the 40222 pump back in. At least the pressure is steady at 7psi at idle, and it pressure never falls below 2-3 psi under heavy throttle up a grade. I have contacted Puralator to find about sending the pump in for evaluation. We will see what that yields, if anything. At this point, I would have to say that changing to the 40290 pump is not worth the effort and expense and would not recommend it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats very interesting, maybe check the inlet screen with a light and see if possibly some debris got sucked up? On a separate note, I found that the 105p is not be able to keep up with the 150cc pump on the shop truck, I am going to a Walbro GSL392 as the replacement.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think that not all of the pumps are created equally perhaps it is a quality control issue because I replaced the leaking pump that was in my truck with another 40222 and it will not fall below 2 and a 1/2 psi.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont think theres variance in the pumps output, just in the injection pump usage and calibration.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just think that not all of the pumps are created equally perhaps it is a quality control issue because I replaced the leaking pump that was in my truck with another 40222 and it will not fall below 2 and a 1/2 psi.

I have thought about this too. While I have not had the 40290 pump all the way apart (still under warranty) I did have the top "barrel" (the hex shaped thing on top in which I think the piston sits). There is an o-ring seal down in that bore, and the o-ring on this pump was flattened out - as if it were old and had been sitting for a long time. Just made me wonder a bit, but they could use an o-ring with a flat cross section for all I know. I had the barrel off to ponder if it would be possible to drill and tap the output for 1/4" npt hose barb fittings. Of course, the 1/8" npt inlet fitting is cast into the nylon pump body when the pump is made, so that is not so easy to "up-size".

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below is the response from Purolator regarding the pump. I have to give them credit for responding quickly, but the response doesn't solve anything for me. I guess maybe I throw the pump on Ebay and try to recoup at least some of my expense. Of course, I could take the pump apart and see what I could do to modify it for more flow and maybe destroy it in the process.

Hi Todd

Thank you for your email and interest in Facet fuel pumps. The 40290 has a different circuit board than the 40222 and although the two pumps look similar, they are very different internally. The longer stroke and stronger spring in the 40290 may cause pressure reading to be erratic on the gage as well as voltage spikes in your system, again this pump has a different circuit than the 40222. The pressure drop from idle to full throttle seems normal. The pressure build up will be high when little or no fuel is being used (idle) and drops when more fuel is used (full throttle) I don’t think the is anything wrong with the pump at this point.

Paul

Motor Components, LLC

National Sales Manager

www.facet-purolator.com

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well there’s not going to really be a pressure buildup since you have a bypass regulator, did you mention that to him?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online