Can i do this?

Burninoil

Reaction score
I had thought about doing this too. Others have done it just not any IDI's that I have heard of. Go for it if you can do the fab work.
Just dont end up like me and have boxes of new parts and a whole barn full of used stuff just sitting there and have no time or place to work on it.

just found this awhile ago from tooling around the web
http://landandseatech.net/recent_projects

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control it with oil pressure. As rpm increases so does the pressure. As basic as possible! And cheap as hell! Also now Diesel Brad can quit being so negative to everyone, mainly Dyoung!!! So shut up!!! opinions are like _________ and yours stinks!

Just so everyone knows this is all in my opinion and I'm not instigating anything! Just sick of people being so negative when all you are doing is looking for help and insight. I am a respected auto shop owner and I would never tell a customer they are dreaming. You just don't know if they can make it happen! If there is a way to make something work very well then it would be a break through and hell if it wasn't for people going out on a limb and trying something new than please shut off you computer and quit using technology! Dyoung14 I thank you for using that thing called a brain that our good lord blessed you with! Unfortunately some people are not as blessed with one but with out dumb ***** the world would not go round! So once again Thank You! As stated before this is in my opinion and I'm not instigating anything!

Last edited:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
There's nothing special about those turbo's and they aren't all that great either...I changed quite a few of those at Freightliner due to coking on the VGT actuator shaft which caused them to seize.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Control it with oil pressure. As rpm increases so does the pressure. As basic as possible! And cheap as hell! Also now Diesel Brad can quit being so negative to everyone, mainly Dyoung!!! So shut up!!! opinions are like _________ and yours stinks!

Just so everyone knows this is all in my opinion and I'm not instigating anything! Just sick of people being so negative when all you are doing is looking for help and insight. I am a respected auto shop owner and I would never tell a customer they are dreaming. You just don't know if they can make it happen! If there is a way to make something work very well then it would be a break through and hell if it wasn't for people going out on a limb and trying something new than please shut off you computer and quit using technology! Dyoung14 I thank you for using that thing called a brain that our good lord blessed you with! Unfortunately some people are not as blessed with one but with out dumb ***** the world would not go round! So once again Thank You! As stated before this is in my opinion and I'm not instigating anything!

How do i do that?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few electronically actuated vgts made for a lot less than 1500$, I was looking into it a while back and the 5.9 guys had to hook it up.

I'll look for the links on my laptop but I had found a writeup one guy didn where he made his own controller ;Really

I saw that landandseatech website a long time ago and tried e-mailing them no luck.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Hard to explain. I'll get on paper tonight and pm you with it! I have some other things to i"ll let you in on. I have my own top secret project going on!

i would be kinda leery about using oil pressure just because of its inconsistency. When my engine is cold i can get 40 psi on fast idle but once she is hot i might get 40 psi at 2500 rpm. But why no just control it with boost

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could actually see about tapping into the tach pulse and use engine rpm. Have a pic microcontroller burned with a position map for the actuator based on tach input.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haligen english please not klingon
thanks its much appreicated

all i got was tach sensor

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haligen english please not klingon
thanks its much appreicated

all i got was tach sensor

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My TDI uses vacuum to operate the VGT system. Wonder if you could use the same principal the old vacuum cruise control????

Disclaimer* It uses vacuum but there is a device that controls how much vacuum is put to it, controlled by a electric signal from the pcm I believe. Never the less, its still vacuum operated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle