What to do with this fuel filter?

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing better than that, is having a wife with a 86 bronco and a zf5 in your IDI truck. These trucks pull start better than anything, seriously if I had a good hill in my yard I'd park at the top of it at the end of the day and I'd do a rolling start every morning. It astounding! They will crank with a rolling cold start faster than a hot GP start.
This is true I have roll started mine many times works great.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing better than that, is having a wife with a 86 bronco and a zf5 in your IDI truck. These trucks pull start better than anything, seriously if I had a good hill in my yard I'd park at the top of it at the end of the day and I'd do a rolling start every morning. It astounding! They will crank with a rolling cold start faster than a hot GP start.
Wish my wife hadn't made me move. The property we left (after 26 years) had a 100 yd. downhill driveway.

Olds64

Reaction score
Those primer pumps are handy, especially if you still have a mechanical lift pump.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely want to run a 30 micron on that primary filter. At least something bigger than the six I would not run the two because it's hard for the mechanical pull through it. Although you will know the moment it's plugged LOL

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ, I have never noticed a lack of power or any other affects using a 2 micron filter or using 2 filters in the system as I mentioned in post#7 above.
New, the fuel should flow right through the Filters w/o any strain on the pump.
Yeah a 2M will plug up sooner than a 10 or 30, but it must be doing it`s job.
The 10 or 30 should be the first Filter in line, and the 2m should be your last before the IP.

I would have mine that way, but no room on the Pass side for a 500FG Racor.

The IDI engine uses a Diaphram Pump, and the Nissan Engine and Mercedes Engine I mentioned above, use a Gear Pump. I think they could suck a Golf Ball through a Fuel Line...

Goat

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ original poster; does it drive without problems?
I would change it for the same filter, now or at your first oil change, and note the date and/or mileage on it then you are sure where you are maintenance wise, and go from there. seen that this is a fuel filter, every year, maybe every two years? depends on mileage.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago Wife and I were heading to Nevada on Hwy-50.
Picked up 50 in Sacramento, and it take,s you over the mountains to Lake Tahoe, and eventually through Carson City, across Nevada towards Utah etc...
The Summit before getting to Tahoe is around 7300 ft.

We were driving the Mercedes 240D ( 4 banger Diesel) 4-spd, and suddenly felt the engine start to loose power and kind of shake... told my wife "OH OH Fuel Filter".
Pulled over popped the Hood, removed metal band on Racor, lifted Lid, and removed the paper Filter. It pushes onto a nipple under the Lid. Put Filter in a paper Coffee Cup. (Didn`t have a spare new Filter) pushed the Manual primer Pump on side of Lift Pump to top off Fuel Bowl. Replaced Lid and metal band, and drove off.
There is the secondary spin on filter so wasn`t too worried.... and the Racor is an add on. It was black and sides sucked it. Amazing what it catches that is in the fuel, bottom of bowl catches any water etc.. the swirls to the bottom.

I usually change this filter around 12K miles and just forgot to swap it out.
I will tell you it will shut you down at 22K miles...LOL
Not a problem with the unit, just a problem with DA here. :idiot:
When we got back home, picked up another Filter at West Marine.

My attitude is, you need the cleanest fuel possible going through the IP and Injectors, and best filtration possible.

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online