Can i do this?

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
id try it i was guna get the one off of my buddy when he put a bigger one on his common rail i was guna put it on my 86

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
id try it i was guna get the one off of my buddy when he put a bigger one on his common rail i was guna put it on my 86

He said he put something on it to control the vgt, but i dont understand how it works exactly

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who plans to put a variable geometry turbo on a mechanically injected 4.3L GM diesel. He knows his stuff where engines, diesels, turbos are concerned, it sure sounded like a lot of hassle but if you're looking into it, I'll put you in contact with him. I like the out of the box thinking we've had with turbos lately.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I know a guy who plans to put a variable geometry turbo on a mechanically injected 4.3L GM diesel. He knows his stuff where engines, diesels, turbos are concerned, it sure sounded like a lot of hassle but if you're looking into it, I'll put you in contact with him. I like the out of the box thinking we've had with turbos lately.

Im interested:sly

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like he just used a linear actuator to move the lever(?) that works the variable part. Seems like you'd always have to **** with it :dunno
Travis..

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
"i have put an electric screw actuator to run variable part"

Sounds like a electric servo that works with a screw. Apply power and it rotates and extends at the same point revers polarity and it will rotate the reverse direction and decrease in length. that's my best guess I say got for it!

edit. kinda looks the the actuator is off a power aerial setup :dunno

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I sense 30 psi with this one :cool A servo-controlled VGT may work out pretty good. Depending on if the servo could withstand the temperatures and under-hood environment. If you fine-tuned the stopping point of the servo, where the VGT vanes were just right, you could have a surge of boost at the flick of a switch. Hmmmmm

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it's too big to stuff on top, you could always remote mount it under the bed and run a return oil pump :dunno

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had thought about doing this too. Others have done it just not any IDI's that I have heard of. Go for it if you can do the fab work.
Just dont end up like me and have boxes of new parts and a whole barn full of used stuff just sitting there and have no time or place to work on it.