What to do with this fuel filter?

87F-250HD

Reaction score
This fuel filter sits up against the driver’s cab side of the engine compartment of my ‘87 6.9 - what should I do with it, maintenance-wise? Do I need to drain it? If so, how? When should I replace it?

From the writing I can see on the filter, it looks like it says to drain it every two oil changes but it does not say how.
I hope no one minds the basic question. I’ve looked around the internet for an answer and haven’t been able to find one. Thanks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's an aftermarket setup. I typically see them on semi trucks. The black button is actually a mechanical fuel primer.

I'd change it the same time you do your regular fuel filter. Or every other oil change. It's a good fuel filter setup.

87F-250HD

Reaction score
Thanks, Nero! Do you know if I should drain water out of the bottom reservoir and if so how to do that?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There should be a little screw drain in the bottom of the plastic part. I'd only drain it if you see water in it, no point in draining it if no water.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably what it is, by Parker-Racor.

You can get the Racor in 2, 10 and 30 mcron filtration.
Here is a Google search

I use the Racor 200FG on my Datsun 720 and on my 80 Mercedes 240D, with a 2 micron.

On my 86 F-250 Iam using the Racor 500FG with a 2 micron

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
Does the primer pump actually work? I've never run out of fuel (yet) but I've heard it's game over on these IDIs.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, games over, just call PNP and they will haul off the dead carcass.

Naaa, ya just have to purge out the air in the fuel system.
That`s where the electric pump comes in handy.
With the Primer Pump on the Filter will also make it easier to purge the air.
There is a number of steps you have to through.

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks.
Does the primer pump actually work? I've never run out of fuel (yet) but I've heard it's game over on these IDIs.
That primer pump is a big game changer whenever I do a PM service on trucks that have them. You can feel when you've purged all the air out, button gets hard.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Racor makes really good stuff. Thats the same setup I put on my truck when my water separtor started leaking. They bolt right to the factory holes. I did go with the 30 micron instead of the finer options with the thinking that it was a pre filter for the other fuel filter, but I can't say that is the best plan. As I understand it the factory fuel filter is a 6 micron one so the 2 micron racor would possibly be an improvement if flow is adequate. The filter cartidge can always be swapped on these for a different micron rating and will need some periodic replacement beyond draining the lower bowl. The priming pump is really handy for priming the fuel system with a mechanical fuel pump.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
When I first got mine I had to work through many fuel problems and once the whole system is working perfectly I could get it from now fuel in it to running in about 3 short cranking sessions. If you have any fuel system problems it’s impossible to get primed.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a manual hand primer pump next to my Racor 500FG filter assembly, looks something like this one.

You unscrew the knurled knob, it pops up, and you push it up and down to prime. Then push it down and tighten it.

here is another one, bit pricey. It has the Bosch pump, this style you just push it down, nothing to unscrew and a better pump.
It can replace the manual one I first posted.

Do a Google search on manual diesel hand primer pumps, or other combination of words.

Goat

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I first got mine I had to work through many fuel problems and once the whole system is working perfectly I could get it from now fuel in it to running in about 3 short cranking sessions. If you have any fuel system problems it’s impossible to get primed.
I see this as 3 benefits.
It filters water out of the fuel.
If you run it out of fuel then you have a way to prime it.
If it won't prime then it's telling you that you have more problems than lack of fuel.
I think I want one.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing better than that, is having a wife with a 86 bronco and a zf5 in your IDI truck. These trucks pull start better than anything, seriously if I had a good hill in my yard I'd park at the top of it at the end of the day and I'd do a rolling start every morning. It astounding! They will crank with a rolling cold start faster than a hot GP start.