Can i do this?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like it's one those ideas that sound good but work lousy... the variable gate needs to be responsive to the output pressure of the engine exhaust AND the load on the engine.... Fine tuning one of these by hand, while you drive, or just setting still for that matter is damn near impossible.... you are always behind the "tuning curve" with lead and lag on a turbo and when you factor in your "hand tuning" lead/lag you are really never in the SWEET SPOT for max power...

On the other hand,,,, hanging a huge trubo to "look awesome" effect may suit your need for gratification... IMHO it falls into the category of "only doing it till you need glasses" of "self satisfaction"... otherwise known as mechanical ************. cookoo cookoo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who suports the idea!! I will probly go for it and do it seems like it might give me the results im looking for, cause i know adding the intercooler to my ats 093 wont give me the power i need, i want a turbo that wont run out of range at 12psi:rolleyes: i need atleast 20psi of effecient boost threw the intercooler:sly

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks to me like it's one those ideas that sound good but work lousy... the variable gate needs to be responsive to the output pressure of the engine exhaust AND the load on the engine.... Fine tuning one of these by hand, while you drive, or just setting still for that matter is damn near impossible.... you are always behind the "tuning curve" with lead and lag on a turbo and when you factor in your "hand tuning" lead/lag you are really never in the SWEET SPOT for max power...

On the other hand,,,, hanging a huge trubo to "look awesome" effect may suit your need for gratification... IMHO it falls into the category of "only doing it till you need glasses" of "self satisfaction"... otherwise known as mechanical ************. cookoo cookoo

Exactly. someone put a VGT 6.0 turbo on a 7.3 PSD, i think they had close to $1500 into the electronics to operate the turbo. Kinda pointless on a IDI that is as simple as a rock and putting $1500 worth of electronics on itcookoo

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're planning on doing this soon, I'd like to be in line to buy your 093, if it's worth selling. I've seen how you run your stuff :rolleyes:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
You know i have the right to run my **** the way i want to, and if you dont like it DONT post!

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
You know i have the right to run my **** the way i want to, and if you dont like it DONT post!

you have all the right in the world dyoung14 im like you pushin these ole things to there limit i have a 7.3 powerstroke turbo thats going on my 6.9

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Damn man chill. I'm not criticizing you . I certainly have no room to do that. My pipes ring pretty much from start up to shut down.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a guy on youtube who put one on a 6.5 diesel so i don't see how it couldn't be made to work on ours

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
If you're planning on doing this soon, I'd like to be in line to buy your 093, if it's worth selling. I've seen how you run your stuff :rolleyes:

Hey give him credit for pushing the envelope and finding the braking point of our junk and willing to go that step further

either put up or shut up

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Exactly. someone put a VGT 6.0 turbo on a 7.3 PSD, i think they had close to $1500 into the electronics to operate the turbo. Kinda pointless on a IDI that is as simple as a rock and putting $1500 worth of electronics on itcookoo

This statement is clearly made from ignorance of the topic. Did you happen to watch the video that was previously posted of the 6.7 Cummins turbo? If you had you would have noticed the MECHANICAL BOOST ACTIVATED VANE SOLENOID. No 1500 dollars worth of electronics.....a 2 dollar hose...if that. Congratulations, your attitude has made you look like the person you truly are....a negative nancy. Don't hate on something calling it a pipe dream because you didn't think of it. A VGT turbo setup would probably be badass on one of these old chuggers. Turbo lag? Non-existent.....

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the screw actuator is not fast enough could look into an electric linear actuator. If you wanted to get real fancy could have a basic stamp microcontroller setup to run the linear actuator off of any number of input variables.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out some of the VW forum's. Some of them are using throttle type cables ganged to the injector pump to drive their VGT's. One I saw used what looked like a piece if brake tubing and some music wire for his cable, and reported that it worked well.