But me an IDIT?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
So I stopped by NAPA earlier this week to pickup 2 gallons of fleetcharge. Since the Carnage Corrections I haven't had any extra coolant and noticed awhile back that the radiator level was about halfway between the top of the upper tank and the tubes/rods. After a little while longer and a trip to NC on labor day weekend, I can't see coolant in the radiator. I know it's there, still some in overflow and only has higher temps when driving home through the mountains from NC. No bubbles in overflow, no milky oil, but likes to burn a quart of oil and stays there seemingly no matter how long I go without topping off.

So there's that bit.

But while I was parked at NAPA on a steep incline next to the door, a guy smoking outside said my truck rolled back a little twice (told me when it happened, while I was standing at the counter). Engine was warm, but a diesel rolling backwards, engine off, IN 1ST GEAR?! I'm a bit worried. Bruiser did this a couple of times, but that 300 sixer has 600K hard miles on it. The IDI also has a low thumping when at idle/hot start. I'm guessing these point to rings then?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your blowby look like at idle looking at your oil fill? I would consider the weight of your truck and the grade you were parked on. Diesels are very high compression, but considering that your truck is north of 7000 pounds I'm not sure I would condemn the rings in your engine just yet.

My suggesting is to fix or maybe just use your parking brake on steep hills :D

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I park on a steep enough hill, my trucks will all do the same.

I'd recommend using the steering into a curb method to help this(so as it rolls back, it hits the curb and you can't go any further; this is explained in my Idaho driver's manual as well as the Washington one).

Also... possibly time to fix your e-brake? You've got a 1990, so they aren't hard to fix, though you might need to modify or rebuild the "tee" adjuster where the single brake cable goes into two behind the cab.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont expect the compression to hold it. It will bleed past the rings even in a healthy engine.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 94 IDIT does at as well, I always set the parking brake.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Haha, all what I was hoping to hear. There was no curb to steer into in the parking lot. I try to avoid curb parking like the plague having a dually. As for the e-brake, it's all true. I have drawings filed away for a replacement equalizer, but I wouldn't be able to mill it out here and would have to go across county after aquiring the parts. All very difficult to do with a 2nd shift job. And yeah, cables need replaced bad. They're both rusted solid and I had to cut the passenger side one to get the new shoes on (rebuilt/replaced everything on both rear outers). It was rusted in the engaged position :eek:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Btw, I don't have an IDIT, I'm N/A, but REALLY want to build a turbo power plant for this truck to help keep EGT's down when hauling. 4 tons is my max right now on flat ground and small hills.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, even my little 91 VW 1.6L N/A 5 speed would do it.....

In the meantime, until you get the parking brake fixed, you can do what I did...... Goto your store of choice and get a couple of the yellow RV Chalks, and a length of rope..... Make the rope long enough to reach between both wheels, and enough slack to reach to the drivers seat. Put a chalk on the downhill side of the drivers side wheels and throw the slack rope in the drivers seat and shut the door. When you leave, hop in the truck, fire it up, grab the rope and pull. If needed, move the truck uphill slightly to release the pressure on the chalks. Throw them in the back seat till the next time you need them..... Did this for a long time with the Jetta....

Let me see if I have a picture.....

Not the greatest picture.......

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It's just another reason for me too not go to NAPA, lol. I should just park down the hill at the driveline shop and walk through.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your lifters are being bled down by the compression. it happens to the Sulaco frequently when parked on steep hills.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be something worth looking into, my service truck sat in my driveway for over a week while I was in Mexico only being held by the engine (because I always just leave it in gear when parking for a short time, bad habit) and didn't move at all, it weighs at least three times what your pickup does. The driveway is steeper than it look's without that terrible white **** in the way, just the only picture I could find of it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Also, since you were facing uphill and had it in 1st, it spun the engine backwards. Which is easier.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, even my little 91 VW 1.6L N/A 5 speed would do it.....

In the meantime, until you get the parking brake fixed, you can do what I did...... Goto your store of choice and get a couple of the yellow RV Chalks, and a length of rope..... Make the rope long enough to reach between both wheels, and enough slack to reach to the drivers seat. Put a chalk on the downhill side of the drivers side wheels and throw the slack rope in the drivers seat and shut the door. When you leave, hop in the truck, fire it up, grab the rope and pull. If needed, move the truck uphill slightly to release the pressure on the chalks. Throw them in the back seat till the next time you need them..... Did this for a long time with the Jetta....

Let me see if I have a picture.....

Not the greatest picture.......

See now I saw the picture before I read your post and thought you were gonna say park a crown vic behind it :joker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online