busted ZF............

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
..hsg.
Was pulling the trans and noticed the case is cracked from about 1 o'clock all the way down past the starter...............

Now on top of the $800 I laid out fro the South Bend, I gotta find a ZF ..........I DON'T NEED THIS

Had to cancel my Labor Day pig pickin' for about 12 of my IDI buds that were comming form 5 states to camp out and enjoy
the holiday..................

Last edited by a moderator:

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
Geezus keerist, George. I swear, you could tear up a crowbar.

can the case be welded?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Roland_Jenkins
Geezus keerist, George. I swear, you could tear up a crowbar.

can the case be welded?

Roland, I could mess up a ball bearing with a rubber mallet!

Unfortunatly, too much "fretting"{movement against} has occured. This has eliminated any chance of correct alignment for a weld to be effective.

dazedandconfused..:thanks: for the link :cheers:

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc
dazedandconfused..:thanks: for the link :cheers: [/B]

No problem. They seem to be pretty good guys to deal with, they are going to take my Mazda trans as a core on a ZF when I get the cash together!

Another thought would to try and find just a caseing and change your guts out. I had the guys from FordCummins tell me you can find housings all day for $100. If you could do that it would be great. Here is their address, they have some links to salvage yards out by them that may be able to help as well. Hope you get it back together soon and it dont cost you an arm and a leg!

www.fordcummins.com

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
GEO hate to hear about the trans. & pig pickin but there is a place just north of Siler city . Marsh truck parts they will more than likely have a trans. for your ride call them at 919-663-1908 hope this helps :) W04

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
:thanks: Bro!
Siler City ain't that far up the road.

dazed....I don't have the tooling to swap out the internals so it looks like someone will get a decent core?

dazedandconfused

Reaction score
Originally posted by geonc

dazed....I don't have the tooling to swap out the internals so it looks like someone will get a decent core? [/B]

The problem with that though is most of these places I found when dealing with my auto wont take the core if its case is cracked! I dont know what to do but I have been thier and done that with 6 autos. Trans insides always held up but housings would fail under high load situations.

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
I think they will take your core I broke an axle tube away form the diff. when I was a kid and they took it as a core but I would ask to be sure because that was 14 years ago you know how things change with time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7