Mel's Rally Review part 1

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems weird that it has been a week already, and I am really just now in a position to post about it. Such is how it goes when your vacation and the rally are one and the same. I'm sure I may have missed some discussions so if I seem out of touch I probably am. Rather than try and back fill I figured I'd just write up my take on the thing and show my pics at the same time. I know other members of my family have more pics to show too, so keep checking the album. Our departure for Kentucky was typical for us. Too much to do and not enough time to do it all. My consious decision to not grease my U-joints would come back to bite me later, but I figured since the Moose Truck only went about 500 miles last year, that they were still good from the last greasing (whenever that was :dunno ) :rolleyes: We rolled into the warm summer evening of the 1st as planned, and bright sunshine was replaced about 15 minutes into the trip with the expected attempt by mother nature to begin the rusting process in earnest of the Moose fleet. Driving into the lightning and thunder, we found a cold front that extended over most of the country it seemed, and the rest of our journey to Kentucky would remain wet. About an hour into the trip, the Night Moose was having alternator problems. We hoped it was just a loose wire, and we found an exit with a sheltered gas pump, and pulled under it to check it out. We found the problem quickly, repaired it, and were on our way. We pulled into Bedford 8 minutes after Matthias provisional license timed out for the evening. By 6 AM the next day, we were back on the road for what would be an uneventful but damp trip. Several fuel stops and one meal pushed our travel time to 13 hours. It was great arriving and seeing our old friends as well as anticipating meeting a few new ones. I got a few shots that first night, and they are here.
You must be registered for see images

Notice our awning lights, that a storm the next day or so would knock down and bust up. -cuss

The next day it was off to Mammoth Cave.

The caves were neat, and they told us a lot about them, but the thing that interested me the most was outside.

Somehow this little railroad connected with the Louisville and Nashville and brought passengers up for tours.

Each night we all enjoyed each others company at rally central (Heath and Missy's cabin), and were regalled with tales of ****** girl and her superfriends. The first night we got to meet Gary, who came all the way from California becoming truely a first in both IDI Weekend history and proving that an IDI can be easily counted on to get anywhere in the country even with a bum Moose Pump. There was no doubt who drove the farthest and considering that my round trip of about 1800 miles was a drop in the bucket to his probably 4000 or so, he definitely deserved all the accolades for both the willingness, the stamina, and the wherewithall to make this rally the first truely national event we've ever had.

Saturday seemed to see a lot of maintainance tasks going on around the camp. Gary was putting in an IP while we went to Mammoth cave, and was seen here putting in a pyrometer.

Ben was wrestling with a bad front wheel bearing, resulting in a less than pleasant activity at his tent site.

Great thing about these events is they mimick very much in real life, what goes on in this board. You need to know how to do something, and somebody can tell you. In real life, you really NEED to do something, and the tools, parts, and know how just come together like magic. Don't have the right tool? Somebody else will offer it. Need a connector or a piece of wire? Somebody will have that too. Even John had his shorts blown off when a somewhat rare connector was readily available. Starters, alternators, belts, oil, filters... it was all there.

The next night it was show and tell time. I had, courtesy of ToddC from Easton PA, a broken crankshaft for all to see, and told the story of his truck and how it was totaled, rebuilt, and is being revived again. Typ4's cutaway head was on display again, as was various other items including Gary's amazing ported and polished heads, and testing apparatus. Unfortunately I didn't get any pics of the show and tell table, but Gary's heads and many other pics are in this album.

Sorry I haven't had time to label a lot of the pics yet.

Of course who could forget our good looking BOOB women who look every bit the party animals they are. ;Sweet
:sly

The National Corvette Museum was the next activity and most of us were able to enjoy the visit. There are lots of pics from inside and the trucks in the parking lot before this final pic.

The tell tale drops of water on the Moose Truck attest to the fact that our scheduled drag race at Beach Bend was rained out. This was I think the biggest disappointment for most of us, not that it could be helped, but sometimes blessings come in disguise, and unbeknownst to me, my front U-Joint was slowly spitting needles out by this point. Disappointed and with no outlet for our excess testosterone, we all turned into girls and wanted ice cream and chocolate. LOL

To be continued thanks to the dumb image limit......

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel's Rally Review Part 2

The rain stopped long enough the next day to shoehorn our show and shine into the days activities. We could litterally see and hear the storm that passed us by with less than a mile to spare. I'm hoping Travis gets to post his pics, because I know he has one that nobody else got, and I'd love to see it. :sly I think the most unusual truck at the show and shine was Damon's Cummins powered mid 80's service truck. It was really cool with the full size sleeper, and more buttons and gauges and stuff than you could shake a stick out. Truely something he had spent a LOT of time on, not that we all don't of course.

The pot luck was supurb, and Heath and Missy did a great job of grilling up the eats, and giving out the treats. The door prizes were great, and much appreciated. A big hats off to the vendors who participated and we thank them I'm sure for their support. The gift exchange game was a blast as always, and I think next year I'm gonna have to be first in line! :hail Never should give that kind of power to a 16 year old. LOL :idiot:
The final day saw us trying to break our trucks at the TS Dyno.

I would have suceeded for sure, so I'm glad I had the sense to save my driveshaft and headgaskets for the ride home. Matthias developed a ticking noise right after, and I began to question my wisdom of suggesting that he do this. We lucked out and diagnosed a blown injector, solving both a fuel leak and noise at the same time.

Number 8 of course. :rolleyes: But the old injector tested pretty badly, and this may have contributed to the additional 4MPG he got on the way home.
We then spent the remainder of the week pretty much with the Butts, Barbers, Perry's, and Herberts. Matthias and I went off on our own and bought him two new rear tires (thanks to a tread seperation :rolleyes: ), and visited the Historic Rail Park in downtown Bowling Green afterwards.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel's Rally Review Part 3

Despite my perserverance in trying to see a train, we found only one movement in town which was a couple of engines about to quit in the yard for the day. I think Matthias has a shot of this on his phone.
We ventured into the dangerous water park with the Barbers and Butts, and the Perry's minus one, and managed to have a good time there. There was some delay in getting to the pool as it seemed that the KOA had contracted with Ron to put down some dust abatement oil, which he chose to do by pumping his crankcase out for a convienent oil change. Let's just say his new nickname should be "double gasket dogcatcher"
We went to Smokey Bones for dinner with the Butts, Perry's and Herberts, and then the Dogcatcher and I had a serious score to settle at the go-cart track. I think the dogcatcher now knows what it feels like to be on the other end of the stick. ;Really
LOL

It was nice meeting Ben, Damon, and Marnin and their friends and family and Steve and his daughter. There were others who showed up but did not stick around long enough for me to get a good memory on. I had already met Scott, so his brief presence the first night was not too bad, but there were a few others I would have liked to have gotten to know better. Hopefully next year.

The trip home was going well and according to plan. We headed 8.5 hours to Minerva to deliver a railroad signal I had brought along to my friend Chip. Occasionally I would hear a "tink" that sounded like something small hitting metal. When I finally got off the interstate in Canton, I knew something was up as I accelerated. A vibration that seemed to be getting worse started to rear it's ugly head. By the time we got to Chip's place, I was in limp mode. 10 MPH max, and hoping the driveshaft stayed under the truck. Once there, in good weather and in Chips front yard with nice green grass, I lay under the Moose Truck taking out the driveshaft. We got the U-joints out and Chip took me into town where I lucked out and found an Advance that was open until 10pm, and that had my U-joints. Friday was spent touring Case Western Reserve University for Matthias' college selection process. Lady Moose took us there and back to Chips, and I had the Moose Truck ready to go with new U-joints in about a half hour. We pulled out of Minerva and headed to Clarion to the site of the first ever IDI Weekend, a campground which we frequently springboard from for other rallies in Indiana or Michigan.

Among our fleet, I'd have to give the award to Lady Moose for being the most reliable trouble free truck. She asked for nothing and gave it all getting the Moose Lodge out and back, and even sprinted into Cleveland for the college tour, edging out the other trucks in total distance traveled. Moose Truck needed a U-joint, and a door striker. Things I'd like to think I could have prevented had I taken the necessary steps at home. Night Moose really shined even with the bad injector and bad tire. We found out pretty quick if that truck was going to make the grade, and it did. Despite it's few bugs, we could have been a lot worse off. The overfilled crank case turned out to be nothing other than just that. User error, which my son will now know better then to let happen. :backoff In summary, I had a great vacation, and thank everyone for a good time and great memories. ;Sweet

:hail :hail :hail :hail :hail :hail

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good time was had, wish I could have been there, Mel, that "tink" is an undeniable sound ,isn't it?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I think once you've heard it, you will never mistake it for anything else.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow great pics Mel! Thanks for posting them!! ;Sweet Glad everyone made it home safe and sound...even with the technical difficulties.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Mel, that was really a great summary! That might be something that Jason Thompson could use for the DP article. I'm not wirter that's for sure. You might want to email him that.;Sweet

I'm glad you and the rest of the guys had a good time. I cannot wait until next year.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice write up! and thanks for the pics

looks like i should be able to make the next rally since i just found out i ship out for basic in 2 weeks.:eek: i will start a new thread for that.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice summary Mel. Wish I could have hung around for the go cart racing, and the water park.

I would like to add to your summary,

On sunday night we gathered up a group to go play the putt putt golf course at the camp ground. Which turned out to be the toughest course we had faced, Rocks and Water all over the course made for a very interesting 18 holes of putt putt. But we made the best of it and as always had a great time.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks BJ, I can't believe I forgot that one. 2 hours to play 18 holes of mini water golf. LOL

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is he standing on to change that injector?:eek: Looks like that would be ******* things

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One foot is on the backet for the power steering pump, and the other foot is on the steering box. Both pretty solid perches. Unfortunately his heel has rubbed the rad a few times, and he has learned to be carefull about that so as not to bend the fins. Once he gets the AC installed, I doubt he will be able to do this pose again.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Nice summary Mel. Wish I could have hung around for the go cart racing, and the water park.

I would like to add to your summary,

On sunday night we gathered up a group to go play the putt putt golf course at the camp ground. Which turned out to be the toughest course we had faced, Rocks and Water all over the course made for a very interesting 18 holes of putt putt. But we made the best of it and as always had a great time.

Yeah that was true spirit Nascar style go cart racing. Got clipped spun around and put into the wall.:backoff

I will demand a rematch and will not be start on the lead pole next time.:sly

You have to admit tho, that was prolly the most challenging game of putt putt one will ever play.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both were a lot of fun. Too bad nobody got any pics.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Both were a lot of fun. Too bad nobody got any pics.

Here's the only race track one I have.cookoo
It appears that somebody was struggling to get out of the car.;Really

Karen took a few of the putt putt challenge, just gotta get more time to load em all up.

Attachments

• IMG00119-20090708-1945.jpg
    IMG00119-20090708-1945.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 18