Building a high output idi

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
thank you dyoung! whole lotta good info. first step will be getting a 6.9 and 7.3 to rob parts off of.

i'm still not sure about the dps thing.. i see what you're saying with superheating the air with the misters but if ken has built these 300-650 hp motors I'm betting he used his own products, not misters. i'm gonna try them out.. just cant justify spending 900 on mechanical injectors.

kens injectors in his engines is probly alot better than what he sells, but if you want to buy his junk then have at it

Black dawg

Reaction score
in the time you spend waiting for your stage ones, you will save enough from recycling beer cans to pay the difference.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want DPS injectors if all the runors of jacked up spray patterns are true power come from eficentcy of the combustion proces from my experiance the most important thing to have with mechanicle injectors is to have them popping at the came crack presure and to have a good spray pattern. I'm not advocating moose injectors though not that I have anything against them but I just don't know much about them besides every one that has them likes them so they are ahead of DPS in my book but I have no first hand experiance with either.

Uncle Mater

Reaction score
Yeah!
Unfortunately I have had the pleasure to talk to DPS. Nothing that they said impressed me. I do not trust them or their products. The injectors, cams and IP pumps that you are able to get from these old men are by far the best. Not to mention the customer service and knowledge that they have and offer. For power nothing but the Moose! Weather injectors or the IP. The price means nothing. That is for me anyway. I will gladly pay for a product that was build by some of the best folks that know exactly what to do and keep on improving on. You get what you pay for which is the best and that is no BS. If you find anyone to make a cam for you, you better have deep pockets. Any good machine shop can make one but is your fuel system and internals able to handle it reliably? I would suggest digging some more and finding out what people are really selling. These engines get very expensive very fast especially if it is not done correctly. Good Luck!

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Yeah!
Unfortunately I have had the pleasure to talk to DPS. Nothing that they said impressed me. I do not trust them or their products. The injectors, cams and IP pumps that you are able to get from these old men are by far the best. Not to mention the customer service and knowledge that they have and offer. For power nothing but the Moose! Weather injectors or the IP. The price means nothing. That is for me anyway. I will gladly pay for a product that was build by some of the best folks that know exactly what to do and keep on improving on. You get what you pay for which is the best and that is no BS. If you find anyone to make a cam for you, you better have deep pockets. Any good machine shop can make one but is your fuel system and internals able to handle it reliably? I would suggest digging some more and finding out what people are really selling. These engines get very expensive very fast especially if it is not done correctly. Good Luck!

read some more--typ4 has the cams---

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry the Moose Misters are so expensive. It's true, I really do wish they were cheaper! But, they ARE better than DPS injectors. I can say that, and Heath can say that, because we both had DPS injectors and didn't like them. We both have Moose Misters, and love them. And while it was disappointing that the dyno graph from Bowling Green did show the DPS injectors produced more HP, it was because of cause and effect. I have always maintained, if you change one thing on a motor, you must change something else to compensate. It is a law of nature. The injectors were swapped, but no intercooler was installed. One thing was changed, but not the other. You must have a balanced system, and when seeking maximum horsepower, balance is everything. You can't add injectors that give you 3 pounds more boost and just expect the HP to increase.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
again what ive found is a good combo
hx40 you said about
im using hx35 so similar
2100-2300 pop injectors
tuned pump
no gps will get about 20.5 cr
decked .010 will get 19.5 cr iirc
so definatly lower cr a bit
arp headbolts overtorqued
youre favorite headgasket no blow trick

and you should be set
make sure to pop match the injectors or have russ do it for you
use a turbo pump im doing the swap soon problly today
but the turbo pump can push more fuel just tune it right

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
From what I have been testing, behind closed doors now, you are gonna need rpm. Get the valve springs squared away and once you can physically handle the RPM you are gonna need fuel. The DB2 IP really starts dropping off flow as RPM's increase. If you don't have access to machining equipment or a good machinist, PM Mel and get a Moose pump. A complete custom cam is gonna be between 1800-2000 bucks, and if you arent going to do some serious cutting on the pistons for valve relief AND ceranic coat them get a regrind.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
abull78, care to share about your g codes?

Uh.....Sure. BBcodes are the preffered stock injector for more go as they flow the most fuel. Unfortunately the BBcoeds cant have as much machining done to them as the body has less material. So, when it came time to make some injectors I used the G codes because them have more meat and can open them up more.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 4-5 thousand budget is was I've thought was feasible for serious people here. Sure a lot of people have deeper pockets and others can't afford that, but if you like the truck and want to keep it, it isn't much more than a drop in 6.9 or 7.3 from one of the big reman companies with the latest turbo upgrades. That's the way I see it.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust remans they cut cost on the sleving proces by borring clear threw and locktighting a wedge style sleve in place heard too many horror stories of the liners pulling and cracking the block.