Building a high output idi

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Ok, I've read around and everyones first recommendation is a turbo. Well I'm wanting to get 350-450 hp and I know those turbos wont produce that so I'm not gonna bother with a idi turbo kit. How do yall recommend going about building a 350-450 hp idi? Anyone in here have one? I know ken at dps performance has built several from 300-650 hp (least from what i've heard). Shot him a message but havn't heard back.

Most will recommend just putting a cummins in but I want something really unique and something I put together myself. My idea so far:

6.9 block
7.3 heads
dps injectors (i know they dont spray, but i want power, not fuel economy. not spending another 600 for misters)
fire rings
headstuds
19.5:1 pistons
4k rpm governor spring
try and come up with hd valve springs somewhere to keep pistons from slapping valves
holset hx-40 turbo
superduty intercooler
custom plumbing with 4" downpipe to 4" exhaust
performance cam
aluminum radiator
pump work done locally

thats just engine work. i'll be on my 37s so i'll drop my gears from 4.10 to 4.56 and put either a built e40d/4r100 or a zf5 in it. that'll come later though.

yall think this will get around what I'm aiming for? What else can be done? Will that turbo be big enough?

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Ok, I've read around and everyones first recommendation is a turbo. Well I'm wanting to get 350-450 hp and I know those turbos wont produce that so I'm not gonna bother with a idi turbo kit. How do yall recommend going about building a 350-450 hp idi? Anyone in here have one? I know ken at dps performance has built several from 300-650 hp (least from what i've heard). Shot him a message but havn't heard back.

Most will recommend just putting a cummins in but I want something really unique and something I put together myself. My idea so far:

6.9 block
7.3 heads
dps injectors (i know they dont spray, but i want power, not fuel economy. not spending another 600 for misters)
fire rings
headstuds
19.5:1 pistons
4k rpm governor spring
try and come up with hd valve springs somewhere to keep pistons from slapping valves
holset hx-40 turbo
superduty intercooler
custom plumbing with 4" downpipe to 4" exhaust
performance cam
aluminum radiator
pump work done locally

thats just engine work. i'll be on my 37s so i'll drop my gears from 4.10 to 4.56 and put either a built e40d/4r100 or a zf5 in it. that'll come later though.

yall think this will get around what I'm aiming for? What else can be done? Will that turbo be big enough?

If i know your serious about wanting to build one and serios about possibly spending 15-25,000 dollars or so then i will spend the time searching threads with you and typeing a list of everything you need, other wise im not waisting my time cause most the time these threads all go to hell and no one spends the money and really builds the engine, if i had the money i would build it but i dont

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to do all that and spend lots of money doing it and your complaining about $600 for misters:dunno, You don't sound to serious.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think the 7.3 heads will work on a 6.9 block because a 6.9 uses 7/16 headbolts and the 7.3 uses 1/2 bolts

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i've figured it out to cost around 5 grand to build this engine, not too bad. i can get my engine, piston, and pump work done cheap from some local guys. im complaining about $900 misters vs $300 dps injectors because it's unnecessary money spent in my opinion. dyno charts show dps outpeforming misters, so I'm paying 600 extra for lower performance and better mileage.

i'm about to spend ~1200 on going from my 4" lift to 6", 37" radials (getting death wobble with these 36" bias), and other odds and ends. After that, every dollar from my paycheck, other than fuel to classes, will be spent on this motor. I'm 20 and working full time while taking night classes. No bills other than fuel right now. This project will take time, I'll be buying as the money comes in. But, it will happen. I'm trying to figure out how exactly I should built it though. Has anyone else done a similar build?

I thought I read somewhere about using 7.3 heads on a 6.9 block.. Any way to sleeve the holes on the heads?

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Just asking a question but why use 7.3 heads on a 6.9 motor....:dunno

Well I saw a post somewhere about a guy putting 7.3 heads on a 6.9 block because the 7.3 heads are better. dyoung uses 7.3 rocker arms in 6.9 heads (i presume, he could probably clarify), maybe that would work out for this build. I'm gonna try and find the posts about 7.3 heads on a 6.9.

Last edited:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
If i know your serious about wanting to build one and serios about possibly spending 15-25,000 dollars or so then i will spend the time searching threads with you and typeing a list of everything you need, other wise im not waisting my time cause most the time these threads all go to hell and no one spends the money and really builds the engine, if i had the money i would build it but i dont

dont waste your time if you're expecting me to spend 15-25k lol.. i wont be. 5k - motor, 1500 - tranny, 2k - d60 front / 4.56 gears. this aint gonna be some 9 second 1200 hp monster like hypermax's toy back in the day, just something to compete with cummins and dmaxs.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3 heads will not work on a 6.9 but the valves are interchangeable and you will want the valves out of a factory turbo 7.3 motor can't remember right now what the big diffrence is but they dissipate heat better. for valve springs I belive several menbers on here are running PSD springs. For the rest call hypermax and talk to them they have a lot of experiance with these motors and are willing to share it I've sent a lot of guys building Ppumped DTs that way and recomended them to some IDI guys the one that listened came back with a big grinn and all sorts of new ideas. Its weird they My buddy thats trying to build a 6.9 in the same powerrange that you are call them and he asked about their Ppump set up wich they still have a few of on the shelf they told him about it and that they had some and then said but you don't need it for the amount of power you want.

coalrollinIDI

Reaction score
well Ill back ya up, Ive been waiting for someone with the cash flow to take the IDI to the next level. Keep us updated and such with the build. Ive heard running a Holley fuel pump is a nice add on, the ohio cat pulling truck runs two of them so they must be doing something right !

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I will type what i can think of off the top of my head, you can figure cost,

I would do a 6.9 engine
Minimum bore needed to clean the cylinder walls up
Have every single last part checked out, have the rotating assembly balanced to 4500-5000 rpm
either mill the pistons .040-.080 or have custom low compression pistons made,= costly
You will need a custom cam made,
a IP that can make the fuel needed
Studs on every last thing in the engine is a must,
7.3 rockers is a must
7.3idi turbo valves is a must
port and polish the heads
better valve springs to support as much rpm as you feel same with, i would do atleast 4500 but thats me
and a turbo/turbos that can supply the amount of air/boost needed, this is not all of what is needed but this is a good start

Side note DPS injectors suck!
the reason the moose injectors made less power is because they made more boost out of the turbo which pushed the turbo out of its efficeint range which caused it to super heat the air, hot air= less power,
But beilieve whatever you want

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
7.3 heads will not work on a 6.9 but the valves are interchangeable and you will want the valves out of a factory turbo 7.3 motor can't remember right now what the big diffrence is but they dissipate heat better. for valve springs I belive several menbers on here are running PSD springs. For the rest call hypermax and talk to them they have a lot of experiance with these motors and are willing to share it I've sent a lot of guys building Ppumped DTs that way and recomended them to some IDI guys the one that listened came back with a big grinn and all sorts of new ideas. Its weird they My buddy thats trying to build a 6.9 in the same powerrange that you are call them and he asked about their Ppump set up wich they still have a few of on the shelf they told him about it and that they had some and then said but you don't need it for the amount of power you want.

lots of good information there george, thank you. I'll get ahold of hypermax and get some opinions / ideas from em

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
thank you dyoung! whole lotta good info. first step will be getting a 6.9 and 7.3 to rob parts off of.

i'm still not sure about the dps thing.. i see what you're saying with superheating the air with the misters but if ken has built these 300-650 hp motors I'm betting he used his own products, not misters. i'm gonna try them out.. just cant justify spending 900 on mechanical injectors.