Building a front bumper

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to custom fab my own front bumper and I want to do a winch setup. Does anyone have ideas on what size winch to use? Also need measurements of the roller fairlead on a winch if anyones got one.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
HA! I am doing the SAME thing minus the winch.....I am using a back bumper off of an old 1990 F350 dually parts truck I bought..It has 2 D rings for pulling and a 2" reciever in it already. It needs to be cut and the corners angled, but it should do ok. It's made from 1/4" checker plate steel.

What kind of design are you going to build? Soemthing generic or do you have an idea in mind?

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    986.7 KB · Views: 66

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Decent looking bumper! I would go with a winch that has on board air capacity....warn makes a few with air compressors built in. You could even mount a tank behind that bumper.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would be the advantages of having an air compressor/winch combo?

What winch should I go with as far as pull strength?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What winch should I go with as far as pull strength?

That depends, do you ever have a trailer attached? That has a lot to do with the decision
I have a warn 12k winch on mine and that with a snatch block will get truck and 5er going if it gets stuck

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That depends, do you ever have a trailer attached? That has a lot to do with the decision
I have a warn 12k winch on mine and that with a snatch block will get truck and 5er going if it gets stuck

I would mostly use it for offroading, and getting to a good camping/hunting spot. I dont do awhole lot of towing so not worried about having to pull a truck and trailer.

Just posting a pic so you could get some ideas. Sorry I wasn't more specific. When I get the truck home Thursday, I could take better pics if you like, just let me know.

That would be cool, I like ideas.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I would mostly use it for offroading, and getting to a good camping/hunting spot. I dont do awhole lot of towing so not worried about having to pull a truck and trailer.

A good 8 or 10 k ought to be plenty. Youll want to keep a snatch block on hand just in case of real gooey mud that doesn't want to let go of you.

sportsmobile88

Mobile Dweller
Reaction score
Recreational winches are rated to their advertised rating based on a 10% grade rolling stall. They are not rated for vertical pull which would make it a "hoist". That is why manufacturers say to calculate your gross combined weight and go with a winch 1.5 times higher than needed. Or just put the biggest you can afford. It would be a useless waste of time to use something too small that will fail. Remember that the ratings are with the first layer of rope only, as you increase those layers, the pulling power decreases. The other thing to watch is wire rope size. Full size trucks need at least need 3/8". The break strength of 5/16 is too low and can be at least dangerous if not fatal. Snatch blocks will double the pulling power while cutting the line speed in half but use caution. (Sorry....I've gotten old and turned into my Grandfather.....he was always right though)

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
most winches are also rated upon the use of a snatchblock. for example my bro has an 8000 lb winch and it states in the users manual that the pulling capacity is 8000 WITH a snatchblock. I have seen that 8000 pull a 4 dr f350 stroker that was on 12 in of lift with 40 in tires and buried about 1/4 the way up the doors in the mud on the banks of the brazos river. I decided right then that if i ever wanted a winch, a 6000 would be plenty

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just posting a pic so you could get some ideas. Sorry I wasn't more specific. When I get the truck home Thursday, I could take better pics if you like, just let me know.
i have dibs on the winch assy if you don't want it.
got a strange fetish for industrial winches:D