Brownlite?????????????

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I hear alot about GV but it seems a little pricey but maybe its just me bein a poor boy:dunno. I've been thinking about putting a brownlite behind a getrag but not sure if I can even find one. I think they had a three speed but would like some input. If anyone could help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks alot I looked on ebay but the only one I found was a little over 5k

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my best bet would be to find one in an old truck on one of the farms around here

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I don't know if it's in either one of those threads I linked to but RLDSL has mentioned a junkyard that specializes in them.

CESMITH

1986F250 6.9
Reaction score
did anyone consider hanging a T19 under there backwards (forth would be 1to 1) third would be overdrive, second would be double overdrive, first would be maximum overdrive . would aT19 take the torque backwards throught it :dunno could you get a yoke on the in put shaft ,wich would be the output shaft:thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brown-Lipe Gear Company started making them and was bought out by Spicer. These boxes are still around and according to RLDSL the parts are pretty plentiful. I want to put one behind my T-18 but I don't think I'd pay much over 500 for one. Also consider that the 5000 series and maybe the 6000 series are the only ones that will easily fit in an F-Series or comparable Dodge Cummins without extensive mods. If you type in Spicer 5831 to google search one of the first hits you'll get is GMC Guy 6066 page. He explains the auxillary spicer boxes and their gear ratios. Another hit should be RLDSL's web shots gallery. Read those two pages and you'll know what's what about brownies. Good luck to you.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did anyone consider hanging a T19 under there backwards (forth would be 1to 1) third would be overdrive, second would be double overdrive, first would be maximum overdrive . would aT19 take the torque backwards throught it :dunno could you get a yoke on the in put shaft ,wich would be the output shaft:thumbsup:
Weird.... That almost seems like it would be too cheap and easy....could it be done? They are probably a little easier to shift than a 5531 or 5831. That is exactly what spicer did with the 5531. If you put it forward it was an O/D Direct =1:1 and Over .73:1 or backwards Direct =1:1 under 1.xx:1 Good thought but I don't know if it would work. Anybody?

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not exactly the same thing but my uncle put a 3 speed behind a 4 speed granny in a 66 ford half ton and he said it was badass

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah did it give him over or a bunch of U/D gears? Cause I guess unless you hooked it up backwards it would give you a bunch of Unders. In a T18 top gear would be 2:1....that would suck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828