Brownlite?????????????

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the best bet is to build your own pickup from existing parts, recondition everything if you are so inclined. I don't really care for much of anything that has been offered in the car or truck market after 1997 or so, and I probably will like the newest stuff even less, but then I love to tinker with my vehicles so.... that's what I'm going to be looking into when it comes time to upgrade or replace the current truck. Probably going to be an IDI 6.9 and manual transmission and a cc SRW truck. We'll see I'm not going to flush money down the drain on monthly car/truck payments!

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you ever put one of these aux. overdrives behind an E40D (realizing that you'd need to do mount brackets, shaft adaptation, etc) (and to engage the extra OD only once on the highway when the E4OD has already entered top gear with a locked converter)? If not, are there other ways to do such an OD+OD without going the ultra-spendy GV route?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you ever put one of these aux. overdrives behind an E40D (realizing that you'd need to do mount brackets, shaft adaptation, etc) (and to engage the extra OD only once on the highway when the E4OD has already entered top gear with a locked converter)? If not, are there other ways to do such an OD+OD without going the ultra-spendy GV route?

I have no idea what an E40D is, but if it is an automatic, that manual auxilliary is going to need a clutch release of some kind in order to shift. :dunno

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad has had a 3 ZF5 speeds that have had the 2nd gear syncro's go out on them. All trannys were '96-'97.. Never any other problems there.. I had 2 ZF6 Speeds in my '06 F350 take a crap, the first time I had terrible Growl/Howl in 4th & 5th gears.. I lost Reverse..

The Fact taht Ford is Ditching the Manual with the 2011 Powerstroke is a reason for me too look at Dodge and Chevy for a manual

I have seen only one duramax with a stick and that was an '03. It probably wasnt even factory. Dodge is now the only truck that you can get a standard in. There are more standards behind the 6.7's than automatics down here.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing all these things about the horrid zf5 and yet seeing LITERALLY thousands in and out of the shop each year, can only think of TWO that had any major/measurable problems (these are in everything from 6.9's to 6.0's and heavily modded 7.3 strokes).

I know the cummins is the wholly god unbreakable billion dollar 6 banger. But isnt everything around it a broke down dodge, or in the process of being a broke down dodge?

punk

had to put that in the sig:rotflmao

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the cummins is the wholly god unbreakable billion dollar 6 banger. But isnt everything around it a broke down dodge, or in the process of being a broke down dodge?

punk

Yeah, just old cheapy Dodge junk.

Besides my 1985 Ford/Cummins, I have three Dodge/Cummins in the driveway, all factory-original Dodge crap; crappy old king-pin Dana-60 front axles with puny six-leaf springs; puny Dana-70 rears; worthless un-dependable cast-iron New Process 205 transfer-cases; Warn manual locking hubs that make me have to get out of the truck to lock/un-lock them; big old thick plastic 30-gallon fuel-tank; honestly, I don't see how they make it back to the driveway. :dunno

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yeah, just old cheapy Dodge junk.

Besides my 1985 Ford/Cummins, I have three Dodge/Cummins in the driveway, all factory-original Dodge crap; crappy old king-pin Dana-60 front axles with puny six-leaf springs; puny Dana-70 rears; worthless un-dependable cast-iron New Process 205 transfer-cases; Warn manual locking hubs that make me have to get out of the truck to lock/un-lock them; big old thick plastic 30-gallon fuel-tank; honestly, I don't see how they make it back to the driveway. :dunno

:popcorn this thread is turning interesting now.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got the getrag in today and no fourth gear. It feels like its fine just cant get it to go into gear. Any suggestions?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, no 4th at all? Or no 4th on upshifts? Downshifts? Can you get it into 4th just with the truck stopped? You probably should have taken the cover off to see what was going on with that tranny before you tossed it in. It could just be the syncros are worn or if its been sitting awhile it might just need to get good and broken in again. I had the same problem with downshifts only on 3rd gear in my T18 after I first swapped it in. After awhile and getting used to driving it, everything worked perfectly and still does.

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I got the getrag in today and no fourth gear. It feels like its fine just cant get it to go into gear. Any suggestions?

spend the money and buy an adapter from destoked...

I love my zf behind the cummins... but man does it make some wierd noises sometimesLOL... then again I gave 50 bucks for the zf, and it has a foot and a half of weld in the bellhousing... :D

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What year-model is the Getrag ??

It may be as simple as the shifter not being properly installed or having a lot of looseness in the shifter itself.

Did you at least pull the top and check the forks etc. ??:dunno

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the top off and everything looked fine to me but Im no transmission man. It dont go in gear just sittin either just grinds when you release the clutch.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the top off and everything looked fine to me but Im no transmission man. It dont go in gear just sittin either just grinds when you release the clutch.

Can you go through the shift-pattern with the engine not running and clutch not depressed ??

Can you just slide in into 4th with the engine not running ??

When you move the pole side to side, can you obviously feel the spring-load that centers the shifter to line up with 3rd and 4th ??

You should feel a little spring pressure when moving the shifter over to right or left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online