Brownlite?????????????

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of good Brownie info can be gleaned from these guys; also, scroll down the page to the auxilliary-transmission section for a breakdown of model-numbers and ratios :

http://www.6066gmcguy.org/SM420.htm

I have a pristine 4-speed Dana-Spicer 6041 that I have been meaning to couple behind my Getrag.

I just recently found a shifter for it.

I need another carrier-equipped F-350 drive-shaft to use in the installation, as I intend to keep my current shaft un-molested and carry it in an under-bed hanger for emergency use, should the auxilliary ever fail out away from home.;Sweet

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link I'm gonna check it out. The under bed carrier seems like a good idea too I might do the same thing.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Have you considered using a NV-4500 or ZF5? I have never had one but have heard plenty of guys complain about the Getrag.
What Allison do you have behind your Cummins?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually almost think a brownie would be easier than a T-18 or 19 since they were designed to be auxillary transmissions and are side shifted by rigid shift rods or cables. I saw a 5531 on St. Louis area Craigslist, it uses the same size U-joints as a 3/4 or 1 tone and bolts right behind the existing box. It doesn't get easier than that. They are very old and some people like to complain about excess gear noise and so forth but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one locally and had the cash for it. This one was 450 bucks but no shifter or linkages.

Bobus

Powerstroked
Reaction score
Have you considered using a NV-4500 or ZF5? I have never had one but have heard plenty of guys complain about the Getrag.

I know a kid from MN that has a '91 Cummins (Modified) and he's had 2 trannies drop 3rd & 4th gear

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The GETRAG got off to a bad start back in the beginning when Chrysler claimed that they were "disposable/un-rebuildable", which has been proven to be untrue many times, and, at the same time, let a whole bunch of trucks out with Getrags that had way too much bearing preload, thus overheating and burning them up, plus a poorly located oil-check plug that left the Getrag lacking 1-1/2 quarts of vitally needed fluid.

For several years now, it has been commonly accepted practice to "overfill" the Getrag by 1-1/2 qts, using 5-qts instead of 3-1/2; they live much longer for it.

Also, a Getrag is definitely a TRUCK transmission, not meant to be driven by some Mustang-loving punk; a quick way to kill any transmission is to lay the immense low-speed torque of a Cummins suddenly into a slam-shifted gear-box.

It has been 22-years since their advent, and 18-years since they have been available in a new truck; those that are still around have hundreds of thousands of gooseneck-pulling miles on them and only succumb when some race-car driver kid gets ahold of them.cookoo

I currently own three Getrag-equipped trucks and have as much confidence in them as anything else commonly available in a 1-ton-sized truck; I can't say the same for the fifth-gear losing NV4500 or the catastrophically failing ZF5.;Sweet

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the whole reason I went with the Allison was because it was a cheap find and had everything I needed to put it in. I have a ZF5 but the adapter is too damn expensive. The getrag and everything to put it in including the clutch I picked up for 350. Sure I've heard some bad things about the getrag but I've only recently heard a couple bad things about the ZF. But I still want a GV or a brownie either one would be fine with me.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[
What Allison do you have behind your Cummins?[/QUOTE]

Not sure of the numbers 5 something or another but a POS

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I keep hearing all these things about the horrid zf5 and yet seeing LITERALLY thousands in and out of the shop each year, can only think of TWO that had any major/measurable problems (these are in everything from 6.9's to 6.0's and heavily modded 7.3 strokes).

I know the cummins is the wholly god unbreakable billion dollar 6 banger. But isnt everything around it a broke down dodge, or in the process of being a broke down dodge?

punk

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the ZF usually isn't as bad as people make it out to be if it's treated nicely. I don't think they're anywhere near as tough as a T18/19 but then those don't have O/D and are 50's-60s technology and result in the need for an auxillary OD if you want seriously good fuel economy. The complaints I hear most about the ZF are 1) It's expensive 2) If you do break it, fixing it is not going to be easy....impossible for a home mechanic in many cases and a long day for somebody who knows their stuff. A T18/19 or a NV4500 is supposedly doable for somebody with little to no training and some common sense and easy for a real mech. 3) Reverse is too high!

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing all these things about the horrid zf5 and yet seeing LITERALLY thousands in and out of the shop each year, can only think of TWO that had any major/measurable problems (these are in everything from 6.9's to 6.0's and heavily modded 7.3 strokes).

I know the cummins is the wholly god unbreakable billion dollar 6 banger. But isnt everything around it a broke down dodge, or in the process of being a broke down dodge?

punk

LOL:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao finally someone to agree with me;Sweet

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I will agree with the t18/t19. They are nearly the same as the old sm465 chevy uses. I had never even removed a transmission when I rebuilt mine. I cant recall every actually seeing one broken either.

The zf isnt perfect, Im just saying that its a really good transmission. I do think they could have made them easier to rebuild, but its still easier (for me) than an auto trans.

I would like someone to build a cast iron cased o/d trans similar to the zf in function with the t19's reliability and ease of use. With the green ****'s killing off newer rigs even having the option of a manual, I doubt this will happen.

punk

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah too bad. Is this confirmed to be because of environmental regs that newer diesels don't have manual transmissions, or are there just not enough people like us that want to shift gears left? The best option in my opinion is a T18 with an auxillary overdrive. I don't like GV business practices and their prices are way more than I could ever justify, so if I do this it's going to be with a brownie probably. I understand there are still a ton of them in your area since so many log trucks used brownies to have deep underdrive in the mountains and a respectable road speed on the flat lands.

Bobus

Powerstroked
Reaction score
My dad has had a 3 ZF5 speeds that have had the 2nd gear syncro's go out on them. All trannys were '96-'97.. Never any other problems there.. I had 2 ZF6 Speeds in my '06 F350 take a crap, the first time I had terrible Growl/Howl in 4th & 5th gears.. I lost Reverse..

The Fact taht Ford is Ditching the Manual with the 2011 Powerstroke is a reason for me too look at Dodge and Chevy for a manual