broken glowplug... ideas?

nbkhwjm

Reaction score
hey all, been changing glowplugs in a 1994 E-350 van (7.3 IDI motor). I've had 2 plugs that have come apart while attempting to remove them...

While using the "Leroy diesel" tool and another where the tip was broken allowing the outer casing to slip off..

You must be registered for see images attach

my instinct here is abandon the effort to remove, just leave them in, but not hook them up. however I'm concerned that when the engine is warm they may loosen and fall back in...

thoughs??

chris

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled it and tapped it, think it was 8-32 and used a slide hammer VERY gently, the tap bites into outer case of GP, drilled in about a 1/2 inch, its just ceramic and a wire, go small with the drill bit, 1/8 is fine.

nbkhwjm

Reaction score
I drilled it and tapped it, think it was 8-32 and used a slide hammer VERY gently, the tap bites into outer case of GP, drilled in about a 1/2 inch, its just ceramic and a wire, go small with the drill bit, 1/8 is fine.
thanks rwk, best idea I've seen.

--chris

Cactus Bob

Reaction score
If you are going to leave them in do your engine a favor . Go get two(2) cheap china needle nose vice grips and clamp them tightly on what remains of the broken glow plugs . and leave the vice grips there. this will assure if they do get loose they will not fall into the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online