Braking Stiff only when Applied Urgently

corrado9184

Reaction score
ill have to put the vacuum gauge back on it and check it again. Maybe it went to ****.

corrado9184

Reaction score
oh I drove it from Texas to New Mexico and back Hauling my Trailer. ;burnout It stops, but you get one hell of a workout doing it.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
Reading through the threads, I had a similar issue after redoing complete front/back brakes( calipers hoses drums rotor hoses drums wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and switching to a electric vacuum pump, still had squishy pedal, and had to pump it. What most were pointing at was the RABS, but I found a link on adjusting vacuum boost arm that pushes in the master cylinder. After playing with it, actually stopping and pulling the master cylinder off and adjusting as I did a test drive, I got my brakes just right. The OP stated they installed a new booster.. The booster push arm may not be set correctly for the new master cylinder.

Hope that helps.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sometimes, that arm can be extended too much when you get another booster. It will then apply constant light pressure on the master cylinder. As your brakes heat up, they will put more and more drag on your parts. Eventually, it will be difficult to drive and your brakes will be smoking. That's just something else to keep in mind.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Sometimes, that arm can be extended too much when you get another booster. It will then apply constant light pressure on the master cylinder. As your brakes heat up, they will put more and more drag on your parts. Eventually, it will be difficult to drive and your brakes will be smoking. That's just something else to keep in mind.

I had that exact problem when I was trying to fix what ended up being a failing vacuum pump. I adjusted the booster push rod out too far and my front pads were litterally smoking.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading through the threads, I had a similar issue after redoing complete front/back brakes( calipers hoses drums rotor hoses drums wheel cylinders, master cylinder, and switching to a electric vacuum pump, still had squishy pedal, and had to pump it. What most were pointing at was the RABS, but I found a link on adjusting vacuum boost arm that pushes in the master cylinder. After playing with it, actually stopping and pulling the master cylinder off and adjusting as I did a test drive, I got my brakes just right. The OP stated they installed a new booster.. The booster push arm may not be set correctly for the new master cylinder.

Hope that helps.

This same thing just happened to my buddy with his Jeep. Great info!

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score

Yes it will ... you want to make 1/4 turn adjustments on the push rod. You will also get get real good at removing the master cylinder and putting it back on. When I did mine I first did it by the spec length of the push rod ... not a good idea.. way to much and front brakes got hot ... backed it off , then did 1/4 turn adjustments. Took about 4 times removing the master cylinder adjust , test drive to get it right. Lots of stopping in church parting lots, pop the hood, grab the ratchet, remove master cylinder, adjust rod, put master cylinder back on, close hood, test drive.. By the time I got to the last adjustment , I could have that master cylinder off, adjusted and back on in 5 minutes..

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I had forgotten this issue. We had the same issue when we replaced the master/booster combo in the late 80’s on our bullnose. The brakes were slightly applied all the time.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I had forgotten this issue. We had the same issue when we replaced the master/booster combo in the late 80’s on our bullnose. The brakes were slightly applied all the time.
Of course, I posted from my own experience.;) Although I didn't get the brakes hot enough to stop me. They got hot enough to put enough drag on my Bronco to put a serious damper on the speed I could drive. I only assume that they would cause a vehicle to come to a stop with locked up brakes.