Parking Brake

MC770

Reaction score
So I've had an issue with the parking brake since I purchased the truck. The pedal in the cab does not return all the way up when you release the pedal leaving the brake light on at the dash (it fully releases the parking brake but does not return far enough to depress the switch at the top of the stroke to turn the light off). I have since had a shop re-do the entire braking system (booster, master, lines, pads, calipers & drums) as well as a new parking brake set up. I was hoping that the new cables for the parking brake would resolve my issue with the pedal not fully returning to normal. The issue still persist and I'm wondering if this is just a lube the pedal assembly solution or is there another spring to help with the return of the pedal on the bracket that I am missing? TIA

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. The easiest way to fix it would be to remove the bulb from behind the red brake indicator. Another option that I'm going to do at some point is put a small bungee cord under there or maybe a heavy rubber band.

I think it's a "40yr old truck" thing.

MC770

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. The easiest way to fix it would be to remove the bulb from behind the red brake indicator. Another option that I'm going to do at some point is put a small bungee cord under there or maybe a heavy rubber band.

I think it's a "40yr old truck" thing.
That's what I was thinking, wasn't sure if there was some kind of return spring I could replace/re-lube to get it back to normal. For now I've just got the switch the pedal contacts unplugged to keep the dash light off, a cheap bungee cord may be the way to go so I can at least have the light back so I remember my brake was set when I take off LOL

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
There is a spring down underneath with the equalizer bar, it may be missing. that happened on the motorhome (the equalizer broke entirely) and i had to zip tie pedal up.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I had a similar issue along with the parking brake not actually holding the vehicle on any kind of incline - finally found someone local who was able to adjust both the rear brakes and cable to get it to work properly. For my vehicle it was just an adjustment problem that fixed both issues.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine holds and releases just fine. And sometimes the pedal stays up and sometimes it flops just enough to let the light be on. I can honestly say I've never stuck my head under there, but sometimes I think about putting a bungee on it.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue along with the parking brake not actually holding the vehicle on any kind of incline
My truck has this same issue. It's nice to know that there's a light somewhere on the dash for the parking brake, apparently mine has never worked. Looks like my getting the light working has been added to my "to do" list also.

MC770

Reaction score
There is a spring down underneath with the equalizer bar, it may be missing. that happened on the motorhome (the equalizer broke entirely) and i had to zip tie pedal up.
I thought there had to be a spring or something I was missing
I had a similar issue along with the parking brake not actually holding the vehicle on any kind of incline - finally found someone local who was able to adjust both the rear brakes and cable to get it to work properly. For my vehicle it was just an adjustment problem that fixed both issues.
Mine holds the truck, had a shop do an entire new brake system on the truck since all the lines were Rusty. Parking brake as well
2A651 is the spring they are talking about.

You must be registered for see images attach
Perfect! Now I know what to go looking for, thanks! Hopefully I can get it back to normal, I'm a little of a nut for if it's supposed to do that I want it to do that not be good enough and this one has been bugging me

jbm6900

Reaction score
Was jus gonna say the same thing, replace the spring where it goes from 1 cable to two.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, replaced my rear cables and bam that think will hurt if you put your hand in the path of return
Not saying don’t trust people but maybe you should check they actually did the cables I hear some bad stories about mechanics
Also poor rear brake adjustment causes poor parking brake