Brake Master failed AGAIN.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The brake master cylinder has failed in my brown truck again. I paid a shop about a year ago to fix the brakes in my truck less than a year ago and had some issues with them replacing parts they weren't supposed to replace first and so on. However I did finally get them to replace the master cylinder. I had issues with it holding pressure on the front calipers after they installed it so I brought it back and they tore the master cylinder apart and messed with the metering rod in it rather than replacing it with another rebuilt unit. Anyway its never been quite right, has never made me feel like I had the braking power I am supposed to have, like it has been braking more with the rear brakes rather than the fronts. To the current events, over the weekend on my way to work I had to push the pedal to the floor to get the truck to stop. I popped the cap off and found the front reservoir was almost empty. I filled it and kept investigating. After driving a few miles through town I found the front reservoir almost empty again and the rear reservoir had overflowed with the cap clamped down. So in short the front reservoir is going into the rear and getting pushed out the cap.
What can be done to fix this and if I find there's any warranty on the work, should I make the shop fix it or give up on them and do it myself?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like an internal seal failure inside the bore of the master, one way or the other the fluid is getting by. i would be highly suspicous of the master first since you know it has been worked on and was a problem.

an other possibility is the proportioning valve has sprung a similar leak and allowing the back and front to mix. it would make sense since the fronts run a much higher pressure than the rear.

might be worth the time to get some caps and a pressure gage to track it down and make sure you get it this time. start at the wheels and work your way in isolating parts. right now it sounds like you are a rolling liability driving this rig.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Everyone says the proportioning valves in these older rigs are impossible to replace if they ever go bad. I have half a notion to just replace the thing with a Wilwood or Brembo manual proportioning valve and be done with it.

I'm more inclined to do the job myself this time because they made a huge deal about how my truck is a POS with all the modifications I've done to it. Then said they've never had such a pain in the ass of an owner to deal with ever. So I really don't think I want to take it back there.

I think I'll replace the master cylinder first since I have to replace the booster anyway. I've had issues with the booster leaking off if I hold the brake pedal too long ever since they put this master cylinder in.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my brake Booster...sounds like air hissing down by the brake pedal.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a very unprofessional shop to begin with, i would recheck anything they did and work your way out from the booster...if you cap both lines at the m/c you should have a rock hard pedal, then uncap each line and check them with the other line capped..

Black dawg

Reaction score
If it is actually under a year, the part should have a warranty. I would ask the shop this and see if they can get you another one.

If I had the luck that you do in dealing with other people, I would replace it myself.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think you answered the question yourself.. Doing the simple job yourself tells you its done your way... The right way. Sad to learn your having continued issues with that shops work and professionalism...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I would like to get away from the cast iron master cylinder and possibly this older style booster as well since I've literally bought over a half dozen of these older boosters that turned out bad straight from the parts store. I've never had that trouble with the ones in the 94's we have. Is this a possible conversion or not? Can someone explain what all is required?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ok so here are the two questions I need answered. Will a Booster/master cylinder set for a 94 F350 fit the bolt holes in the fire wall for my 83? And will I need brake line fitting adapters for my brake lines to fit this master cylinder?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant you make a few trips to the JY and maybe you get lucky and find a hydroboost setup cheap and complete?

I got real lucky and found one at a buddies backyard, he was scrapping a F450 and in ten minutes I had my hydroboost. FREE

Direct boltin even the brake lines and powersteering lines fit.

I did remove my brake pedal and push out the pin, weld up the hole and relocate a new hole with OEM pin and clip.

I have an old booster from my 87 if anyone wants it. cause I sure dont want it.

Oh, I see now that 1983 is going to be an issue possibly, some frabrication.

Well just a thought.

Javier

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so here are the two questions I need answered. Will a Booster/master cylinder set for a 94 F350 fit the bolt holes in the fire wall for my 83? And will I need brake line fitting adapters for my brake lines to fit this master cylinder?

Yes and yes.. I have a 86 body on an 88 frame with a 92 master cylinder and booster. Near as I could tell the only difference was the size of the brake lines. I would have rather left the 86 stuff on there but I couldnt break the lines loose.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Maybe god doesn't like your truck. LOL all joking aside that sucks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker