BRAIDED STAINLESS BRAKE HOSES

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have been looking at several sources for braided stainless brake hoses for my 1985 F-350 2wd.

Everywhere I look, they have them for F-150, but no mention of F-350.

Where can I get them for my F-350??

Thanks.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Try a local shop that makes up hydraulic lines--if they have DOT certification. They can fab up just about anything you need. They will need the dimensions and what kind of connections you have on each end of the brake line.

I had a rear line on my motorcycle develop an aneurysm last year during a trip to the north side of Houston--there wasn't another stock brake line for it in the country--so I drove out to Katy to a shop with that certification had one fabbed up in about 15 minutes. I took my old brake line with me. Try looking for Aeroquip dealers in your area.

Good luck. Your brakes should be more responsive with the steel braid around the hoses.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if ones from an F-150 didn't work. The Bronco ones sure look the same to me.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I looked for the same thing for my E-350 last summer with out any luck. I bought new stock ones.

Be cautious with using "Made up" hoses as they will not be DOT certified and the risk is not worth it. First, most reputable hydralic shops will NOT make brake lines. Way too much legal liability. There are a few shops that have DOT certification to make hoses but they are expensive and you have to sent them a sample of what you want. I had some lines made for a older Honda Goldwing by Orme Brothers in Northridge,CA. They have DOT certification. 877-676-3277.

Jim

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Thanks for the DOT clarification, and the shop needing your old brake lines for patterns.

I had forgotten about that part. -cuss to get old, it is, however, better than the alternative.....:eek:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies.

I called a guy at StopFlex.com, and he said he could make them up for anything, DOT certified, for $40/hose, either standard length, or as much longer as I want.

One on each side of the front and one in the center of the rear = three times $40 = $120 plus $10 ship = $130 total.

As far as having a shop make them, DOT certified or not, I believe a guy hand-making them, one at a time, would be far safer than anything generic rubber DOT certified made in China by the thousands/day that I could buy at the autoparts.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Did he have to have your old hoses for patterns? That is a good price if there are no problems. It suprises that he would have those very special steel parts that bolt to the caliper with the short piece of pipe before the hoses.

Jim

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my own from parts for a RACE ONLY application for my 79, when it went away the hoses went on the 91 what a difference in pedal feel.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Shops set up to make brake lines stock all sorts of fancy banjo fittings and other straight-in threaded hose ends. The shop I used in a pinch was able to exactly duplicate the rear hose on my old BMW K11--in about 10 minutes. The banjo fitting angles were critical to not having a kinked hose with an 8" application--particularly as it moves with the rear wheel.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did he have to have your old hoses for patterns? It suprises that he would have those very special steel parts that bolt to the caliper with the short piece of pipe before the hoses.

Jim

He said that all he needed to know was make, model, and whether stock length, or how much longer, or shorter.

He has charts that list everything he needs to know and all necessary fittings on hand.

I think before I find something else to take my money that I will go ahead and order them.