Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
boy some guys will go along way not to have the hear the sound of ONLY 6 cylinders.;Poke :D That thing is going to be quiet inside.;Sweet So what's the wave ring? IS it supposed to be bent? :confused:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I wonder what that engine is out of....It doesn't have a P7100 fuel pump....hmmm..... Let me know if you need any Cummins specs or info, I have a password for quickserve online so I could run that engine serial number and find just about anything you would need to know.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I thought that you had a great work space before, but now I'm even more impressed. You even have a helper who can fit comfortably in a truck and work.

Heck Yea, His specality is under dash wiring! :D

boy some guys will go along way not to have the hear the sound of ONLY 6 cylinders. That thing is going to be quiet inside. So what's the wave ring? IS it supposed to be bent?

Hope it works!,.. I have had a lot of ambient cab noise so I figured now is as good time as any to see if I can quiet it down. One if the things that made it noisy is the aftermarket Oil pressure guage. I used a Copper Tube instead of the vinyl tube and it carried a lot of noise into the cab.

As far as the wave ring, yes it is supposed to be bent, here is a pic of it installed on the flywheel. It worked fine for a stock Cummins but with the power that I am now getting out of it, I was worried that it is a weak link in the chain. There was a spot on it that looked like it was starting to buckle and I would assume that was from me modding the Cummins and runnig it hard while it was still in the doner truck.

I plan on keeping the wave ring in case I decide to drop a 4BT in the Bronco. It should be able to handle that kind of power,...

Attachments

• SV500005.JPG
    SV500005.JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 199

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I wonder what that engine is out of....It doesn't have a P7100 fuel pump....hmmm..... Let me know if you need any Cummins specs or info, I have a password for quickserve online so I could run that engine serial number and find just about anything you would need to know.

That would be cool to see what comes up, I will get you the seral number.

The it has the "VE" pump, wich came on the early Cummins, the "P" pumps came on (I think) 94 and later 12 valves.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Build date of Dec 14, 1990. Built at the Consolidated diesel plant, Fuel pump # 3917943, Engine Config # D402004BB42, 160HP. Let me know if you are looking for something specific.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heck Yea, His specality is under dash wiring! :D

I can vouch for that statement.;Sweet
Hopefully if things go ok with Nick's surgery Friday morning I should be there.

Not sure but me thinks Karen wanted me out of the house since she brought the subject up for another GR road trip.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
man I wished I would have known... I would have skipped putting in the 5er hitch and came and played...

I did however talk to Ron on the way home as for some reason I was thinking about you guys as I was looking at the RUST starting on rear lowers....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Man what a chore that was. My shoulder is killing me from swinging that hammer into the firewall. That thing there is one tight squeeze.
Of course Darrin HAD to sell vehicles yesterday too and left Tony and I at one point trying to get that thing shoe-horned in there. All in all it was a good day.;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sorry guys, little slow on the updates, I will get pics posted tomorrow.

Thanks Ron, ;Sweet

He was modifying the firewall with the sledghammer like it wasn't his truck, But we got it in there.

We had more prep work to do than I anticipated. We moved the trans back about 3", had to reinstall the steering coulumn, Ron had to remove a busted bolt out of the Cummins so we could bolt up the alternator, then bolt on the new spacer ring and install the Torque Convertor, among other things, and yes Customers,.;Sweet

Bottom line the motor is IN the truck, bolted to the trans, but not the motor mounts. We need to move it back another 1/2" tomorrow I will redrill the trans crossmember in place, unbolt the trans mount and slide the whole unit back a little more and the motor mounts should line up and get bolted in.

My goal is to get it all bolted into place, then I can take my time wiring everyhing and hooking it up. The next fab thing will be the electric fans, downpipe and Intercooler.

I am thinking about picking this up for the Intercooler piping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=300212440049&rd=1

Overall a successful day, selling a truck, (the black 97 F250 with 17Kmiles)and getting a motor in!

Thanks again Ron!