Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It is offically underway, Tony and I started tearing into the truck today, getting it ready to pull the motor on Saturday and possibly drop in the Cummins.

I have ordered a new low stall HD Torque Converter that is supposed to be delivered by Friday. If we get it then we should be able to get the Cummins set in the truck on Saturday, barring incodents :backoff

I was going to title these pics,.."Now I can change my Fan Clutch" LOL

Attachments

• SV500005[1].JPG
    SV500005[1].JPG
    386.6 KB · Views: 253
  • SV500008[1].JPG
    SV500008[1].JPG
    359.3 KB · Views: 255
  • SV500009[1].JPG
    SV500009[1].JPG
    348 KB · Views: 367

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
whoaly Moaly you are moving right along... Something tells me you are starting to want to get this project done.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't opt to pull the whole front clip. There are actually fewer fasteners that way, and you'd have less risk to your new paint. Darn shame the rig didn't make it to the rally last year in it's last "original" configuration.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Gotta say,,,,,That truck looks BADASS!!!!

best of luck with the transplant.

Thanks Keith, Hope it will run BADASS too,....!

whoaly Moaly you are moving right along... Something tells me you are starting to want to get this project done.

Yea, I really am, I am also Trying to get the whole scope of the job. I will feel a lot better once the motor is setting in the truck and bolted up to the trans. I feel like that will be a big hurtle, Then everything else can be worked on at my own pace.

I'm surprised you didn't opt to pull the whole front clip. There are actually fewer fasteners that way, and you'd have less risk to your new paint. Darn shame the rig didn't make it to the rally last year in it's last "original" configuration.

I may still remove the front fenders, and the hood. But I wanted to totally dissasemble the front of the truck because of the modifitacions it is going to take to install the Intercooler. That is going to have to go back together piece by piece. I also may be getting new headlights and grill, see how the budget goes.

For the Hood, I would like to take it off and modify the hood scoop, and build a under hood blanket out of a tenaue cover that I have. At least get some sound deadening material installed.

But you are right, It would have been cool to make it to the IDI Rally with the truck,.. oh well,...

Anyone else showing up that I don't know about,..?

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you are going right at it. I would really like to help on your project but it's way too much of a drive. I wish you the best of luck on your conversion, and will be following your updates.
BTW I am envious of your tool shop, I wish that I had a place to work on my truck that was half that nice. It wasn't so bad when it was nice and warm out, but when it got cold and snowed it wasn't fun any more. Here is a picture of my "tool shop":rotflmao .

Attachments

• 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 547

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's looking sweet Darrin!:thumbsup: My only suggestion is don't use any sound deading blaket. You've gone through a lot of trouble to get that cummins in there..............let everyone hear it! Gotta love the sound of a mechaincally injected diesel.;Sweet

Heath

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Traitor!!!!!

Now make sure you take pics of the fit of the engine,what you had to adjust,modify,cut,beat into submission.....Just for the info of course.....Not that I am considering it....again....nah....never.......

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Well we got the motor out today, Too bad Ron Misssed it, He called in sick:puke: Get Better Ron, and thanks for being on call for when we had a question, we know you were there in spirit! ;Sweet

Big Thanks to Joe, ( little doggie) and Chris (diesel4me2) for driving up and helping out today. We had a great time, and all got our hands dirty.

I even sold a truck today so it was all good.

Chris's truck is lookin AWESOME! I took a pic but wont' post it till he is ready to reveall what has been done. But it is Sweet! ;Sweet

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• Motor pull4.jpg
    Motor pull4.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 258
  • Motor pull5.jpg
    Motor pull5.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 214
  • Motor pull7.jpg
    Motor pull7.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Motor pull8.jpg
    Motor pull8.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Motor pull9.jpg
    Motor pull9.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 230
  • Motor pull11.jpg
    Motor pull11.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 123
  • SV500007.jpg
    SV500007.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 203

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
We werent in a real hurry because the torque Converter didn't come in on Firday, it was delayed till Monday because of the bad weather. So we didn't put the truck on the lift. This week I will be unbolting the trans, droping the driveshafts and moving back the driveline. I hope to get the Cummins droped in this week, bolt up the trans and redrill the and bolt in the trans crosmember. Then I will have to get the rear drveshaft shortened, and the front lengthened.

Once the motor is in I plan on just taking my time getting everything hooked up, wired, plumbed, etc.