Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Hmm... would a body lift have negated the need for that beating? Not criticizing the effort mind you... Even a standard IDI turbo install warrants some firewall abuse.

Prolly not but since Darrin is running that fith wheel setup a body lift is not an option.

Plus it was more fun beating up somebody elses truck.:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnem
Hmm... would a body lift have negated the need for that beating? Not criticizing the effort mind you... Even a standard IDI turbo install warrants some firewall abuse.

Prolly not but since Darrin is running that fith wheel setup a body lift is not an option.

Plus it was more fun beating up somebody elses truck.:D

Correct, a body lift is not an option on Big Ed. The goosneck hitch is a permenant part of the frame and married to the bottom of the bed. Plus I don't want it any higher than it is for pulling the 5ver. It would be a real bonus if it was possible. 2" would have made a big differrence.

I got some more done on the truck tonight, got the transmisson crossmember drilled and bolted in its new location, got the new trans mount installed. Also rebolted the torsion bar back to the motor crossmember with shortened bolts so they won't hit the Cummins oil pan.

So now the driveline is offically bolted in to its perminant position, and all clearances look good. The motor is level, It is still close to the firewall but should be ok, the rear of the GV clears the custom exhaust.

Tomorrow I will be measuring the driveshafts and taking them to D&R Driveline to have them rebuilt to the proper length. Then get the spacer bolted to the flywheel. After that I am done under the truck for a while so I will start with hooking up the motor, wiring, ac, alt, hoses, etc.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Correct, a body lift is not an option on Big Ed. The goosneck hitch is a permenant part of the frame and married to the bottom of the bed. Plus I don't want it any higher than it is for pulling the 5ver. It would be a real bonus if it was possible. 2" would have made a big differrence.

I got some more done on the truck tonight, got the transmisson crossmember drilled and bolted in its new location, got the new trans mount installed. Also rebolted the torsion bar back to the motor crossmember with shortened bolts so they won't hit the Cummins oil pan.

So now the driveline is offically bolted in to its perminant position, and all clearances look good. The motor is level, It is still close to the firewall but should be ok, the rear of the GV clears the custom exhaust.

Darrin besides -Drool all over those pics that show real fore thought and awesome attention to detail ;Sweet

Where the "massaging" in question took place, is there enough room for torque flexx?

Would be a real bummer to get cab drone under full torque....not that you would even consider a full boost launch :angel: :angel: :D

Not bashing your work by any means :hail just sometimes we are too close to really see....thats all!

keep up the great work :cheers:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks Geo,.. ;Sweet

It looks like there is room for the torque of the motor, but I guess I will know for shure when I do a full boost launch :D

I am a little worried about how close the sound deadening is to the back of the manifold, think it might melt there but I will keep an eye on it.

Today we took the measurements so I can have the rear driveshaft shortened, and the front one lengthened. The offical measurement is 4 1/4" That is how far we moved the trans, transfercase and Gearvenders back to make room for the Cummins.

I bought all new u-joints, and a center carrier bearing and took those parts along with the driveshaft's to D&R Driveline here in GR. They will lengthen and shorten, install all of the new parts, and balance them both. I should have them back on Friday.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 151
  • SV500002.JPG
    SV500002.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 114
  • SV500003.JPG
    SV500003.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 131

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Have you posted a summary of all the performance mods you have put into that motor?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Looks good Darrin what did you do about the transfer case lever and if you would't mind whats it cost to adjust your drive shafts

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys, I am glad that I am not keeping track of the man hours on this project cookoo

Have you posted a summary of all the performance mods you have put into that motor?

The following things I did to the motor while it was in the doner truck:

Larger Injectors
Larger turbo housing
All of the pump tweaks

The following things I did while the motor was on the motor stand and have not been tested yet:

Smokey Fuel Pin
3200 RPM Govenor spring
Timing bumped.

The motor allso has 60# valve springs, and will have a more free flowing exhaust than it did with the doner truck. It will also get an Intercooler and propane injection.

Looks good Darrin what did you do about the transfer case lever and if you would't mind whats it cost to adjust your drive shafts

I will know for shure on the driveshaft prices tomorrow, but it was actually cheaper than I thought. It looks like I will have about $300.00 total. parts and labor. Ill let you know when I get them back tomorrow.

For the T-case lever, I haven't tackled that yet so I don't know what I am going to do. Now that I have it in place I can dig into that. I hope that I can just modify the handle and not have to do any floorboard work.

Anyone ever made it electric? Jst a thought,....cookoo

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Just a quick update, Tony and I got the flywheel to spacer bolts installed. I had to open up the flywheel bolts a little, and they took some time to get in but it is all buttoned up.

I got the throttle cable with the cruise hooked up and started getting the new guages installed so I can hook them up. I got all matching Auto Meter Pro Comp Ultra Light guages. I need a higher boost guage than just 15PSI, and with a 5K motor under the hood, I figured it was cheap insurance to have good guages.

The new B&M Floor shifter is in the shop also I will install that when I see what I can do with the T-Case shifter.

The sound deadening is basically done, I will be doing a little sound wiring and soon will start reinstalling the interior. I sprayed the inside of the doors with spray in sound deadener/undercoating, and then all of the extra scraps of Fat Mat is going on the inside of the doors as well.

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

• guages.JPG
    guages.JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 85
  • SV500001.JPG
    SV500001.JPG
    398.2 KB · Views: 66
  • SV500003.JPG
    SV500003.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 62
  • SV500004.JPG
    SV500004.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 73
  • SV500013.JPG
    SV500013.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 72
  • SV500014.JPG
    SV500014.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 70
  • SV500015.JPG
    SV500015.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 54

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So being one that can't leave well enough alone, Yesterday while finishing up the guage install I decided to add a switch to the trans temp guage.

There is a sender location in the trans itself, so I put the new sender in there, and my old sender is inline. It is located in the hot line after the radiator, but before the aux cooler and aux bypass filter.

So now I can toggle to the acutal trans temp, or the hot line,..

Sometimes I just like to make more work for myself,cookoo but It might be cool, hope it works.

Attachments

• Trans temp switch.JPG
    Trans temp switch.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 161

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Actually Darrin it will neat to see the difference in temp differences - I know that my trans shop said keep it under 200°F if in the pan and 225° all day lone in the output line.