Big Ed's Exreme Truck Makeover part II

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yea, I agree, I also may put an aux trans cooler back under the truck with a fan, but I am not shure how many extra feet of cooling line that I can have without effecting the pressure and volume,..

I got the Driveshafts back today, they look great, New carrier bearing, 6 new u-jpints, front lengthened, rear shorten, rebuilt and balanced. The total cost was about $265.00 for everything. It is a lot less than I expected!

Attachments

• front driveshaft.JPG
    front driveshaft.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 32
  • rear driveshaft.JPG
    rear driveshaft.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 28

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the transfer case: If I recall correctly, some 90's Broncos and 150's had electrically shifted T-cases. LMC lists a 1356 transfer case motor for 1987-90 Broncos (43-7449) and 1991-96 Broncos and 150's (73-7450). I wonder how reliable these systems were, though?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thats cool Darrin hope it works. I don't know where the sensor is on thePSD but I ran the live data stream on my buddys PSD and the temps were about 25 degrees different between the scanner and his gauge

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thats cool Darrin hope it works. I don't know where the sensor is on thePSD but I ran the live data stream on my buddys PSD and the temps were about 25 degrees different between the scanner and his gauge

Good to know, well see how it works.

Quick Update: The rear driveshaft is installed. I am leaving the front one out for now as it will be in the way to hook up fuel lines. Probablly will put in when I get it on the road.

The motor is all wired up and I am close to starting it. I went to crack it and the starter when CLICK,.Hmm. After some checking, it appears that I have to pull the starter and grind down a part of the bellhousing where the starter gear is hitting. I took a look at the doner truck trans to compare. So I will be doing that today.

To get it fired up I just need to hook up the fuel and return lines, and fuel filter. I just want to hear it run in my truck.

The next step is fab a downpipe, power steering lines, ac lines, electric fans, and intercooler.

Gettin there,...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
well at least it will running when I show up on Saturday so I can post the results of the test drive...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Man, you did good on your driveshaft work...I paid about the same when I did my 2wd to 4wd swap but I didn't get all that new stuff too, just a couple of new u-joints for me.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the transfer case: If I recall correctly, some 90's Broncos and 150's had electrically shifted T-cases. LMC lists a 1356 transfer case motor for 1987-90 Broncos (43-7449) and 1991-96 Broncos and 150's (73-7450). I wonder how reliable these systems were, though?

That is correct, not sure about the F150 but the 91-96 Broncos do have electric shift. As far as reliability - the motors do die with time, but other than that they seem to hold up okay. What I wouldn't trust in that setup is the T-case itself, the NP205 would be my personal choice for this setup, due to it being so brutally strong even in its stock form.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Trucks with the 5.0 were available with an optional "Touch Drive" electronic transfer case, starting in 89.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
QUOTE=argve;261447]well at least it will running when I show up on Saturday so I can post the results of the test drive...[/QUOTE]

Probablly won't be ready for a test drive, yet, but I will put you to work! ;Sweet

And yes we will order Pizza, not Taco Bell,. Unless we take your truck.

Man, you did good on your driveshaft work...I paid about the same when I did my 2wd to 4wd swap but I didn't get all that new stuff too, just a couple of new u-joints for me.

Yea I was real suprised at the price and the quality of work they did. I have heard for years that D&R Driveline was the place to take any work like that but never had to use them till now.

Trucks with the 5.0 were available with an optional "Touch Drive" electronic transfer case, starting in 89.
That is correct, not sure about the F150 but the 91-96 Broncos do have electric shift. As far as reliability - the motors do die with time, but other than that they seem to hold up okay. What I wouldn't trust in that setup is the T-case itself, the NP205 would be my personal choice for this setup, due to it being so brutally strong even in its stock form.

Thanks for the T-Case info. I am still not shure what I am going to do with that yet. I have not had time to raeally look at it and research my options. I will probablly modify the t-case handle to make it come through the originoal hole in the floorboard. I just need to see if there is enough room to give it full throw front to back.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Only update in the last couple of days is that I got the bell housing ground down, Sure would have been easier if I cought that before bolting up the motor, Oh well live and learn.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The BW1356 is a pretty tough t-case in it's own right. I had a 96 F150 4x4 with the electric shifted t-case. Work A-1 along with my auto hubs. Great in the snow. My buddy has a 96 F350 dually 4x4 with 8" of lift and 35" super swampers. With the 6spd and 7.3PSD he has yet to break the BW1356. A 205 is hard to beat though, they are a little more compact and tough as nails. I scored another divorced 205 last weekend....Mint case and a good spare for the one I put under my truck.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
showed up but the work wasn't done... Tony was hanging out in the office and Darrin was out in a car - truck was sitting all alone in the garage with the driveshaft on the floor... Being that I'm the test driver there was nothing I could do so I grabbed my stick with the dangling carrot, climbed back on my goat and headed back home...