Big Ed gets a Face lift, Aussie Headlights,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
The brick nose wasn't a big seller over here. As far as I know the diesel wasn't an option. Most seem to have a 351 Windsor engine and these days have been converted to run on LPG because the cost of petrol makes them to expensive to run. Petrol is currently cheap at around $1.30 a litre a couple of months back it was around $1.55. I'll have a look around and see if there are any aftermarket frames etc for sale. You would be able to fabricate the assembly frame.. The stainless retainer to hold the lamp may be able to be sourced from some other vehicle and the original chrome plastic surround is the hardest to find but there was someone getting new ones made. I'll see if I can find them. It will take a couple of weeks, work is busy and any spare time is being spent trying to get my truck back on the road. Fair warning they won't be cheap

cool , Thanks for the info,.

One thing that I found interesting is that the guy I got the headlights from had just actually purchased a Bricknose Diesel off ebay here in the US, was having it shipped over and will be swapping it over to Right Hand Drive. Quite an Undertaking,..

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that. I haven't seen them in a while, nor have I looked.

One word of caution, These come from China and the glue that holds the clear lens to the housing is Junk! Pull the set apart and glue them back together with some good silicone glue. I have lost a couple before I figured that out.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I will Have to do that before I put them on.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that I found interesting is that the guy I got the headlights from had just actually purchased a Bricknose Diesel off ebay here in the US, was having it shipped over and will be swapping it over to Right Hand Drive. Quite an Undertaking,..
IIRC down there they have the alternative of our 25-y-o import rule, as in vehicles over a certain age do not have to be converted. Being we're well into 2015 already, if their cutoff is also 25 years, that means he can purchase a '87-'89 truck and get away without all the surgeries.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool , Thanks for the info,.

That's a great looking truck Darrin
Mine was converted before I purchased it,but it's been done the cheap way where they cut the dash and rejoin it and cut the steering column in half move the top half over and run a double drive chain between them. The pedals have big rods running across to the left to actuate the brakes. I would love to get a crew cab and do it properly using a aussie firewall etc but that's down the track a bit if money and time allow not to mention the minister for war and finance. I've just got work out a way to get the crew cab in the shed without her seeing it.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC down there they have the alternative of our 25-y-o import rule, as in vehicles over a certain age do not have to be converted. Being we're well into 2015 already, if their cutoff is also 25 years, that means he can purchase a '87-'89 truck and get away without all the surgeries.
It varies between States and Territories , each seems to have a different ruling it's pretty confusing. I think a lot of people get the LHD converted for safety as much as anything. Try to picture driving from the passenger side and you come up behind a semi trailer it's difficult if not near impossible to see if there's on coming traffic.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It varies between States and Territories , each seems to have a different ruling it's pretty confusing. I think a lot of people get the LHD converted for safety as much as anything. Try to picture driving from the passenger side and you come up behind a semi trailer it's difficult if not near impossible to see if there's on coming traffic.
the closest I've seen AUS RHD Ford pickups was over in Hong Kong years ago. The oem firewall is a completely different animal compared to the US version. Is it more feasible to swap out cabs, rather than getting cramped on a conversion?

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be, the trouble is finding one that's suitable. You would really need a whole vehicle as you would need the steering box and drag links and you would need to salvage the chassis mount for the steering box and there would be lots of other stuff I'd imagine. It is doable, I just haven't dug into it too deeply as yet.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know the inconveniences of driving a vehicle with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side - used to be some mail delivery Jeeps in the US that had the wheel on the right side, not sure if that option is still offered on the domestic market. But you kinda get used to it, I personally never had a problem with it - but then again I was never one to attempt passing on a 2-lane road unless it was straight for miles... Funny thing tho, I've seen people in RHD vehicles hit the drive-thru in reverse, none of the other customers seemed to find it one bit off either!

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I know the inconveniences of driving a vehicle with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side - used to be some mail delivery Jeeps in the US that had the wheel on the right side, not sure if that option is still offered on the domestic market. But you kinda get used to it, I personally never had a problem with it - but then again I was never one to attempt passing on a 2-lane road unless it was straight for miles... Funny thing tho, I've seen people in RHD vehicles hit the drive-thru in reverse, none of the other customers seemed to find it one bit off either!
LOL I've never seen that before. Makes ya want to get a LHD just to try it

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
LCAM,

Chrysler is/was offering the newer Jeeps (Not sure the model letters) with right hand drive for rural mail service routes. They are a funny color of blue.... we have a few running around here......

You must be registered for see images

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh cool, yeah I would be surprised if they're not an option still, seeing how the Wranglers are (and have been for a while) a global vehicle so the proper RHD parts should be readily available... But yeah, RHD in a LHD road system really is no big deal, even shifting with the left hand becomes like a 2nd nature within just a few miles.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I have shifted left handed several times. When I was in high school, we had an 82 Ford EXP. It was a small car, and Dad and I are not small fellas. When we were together in the car and he was driving, his right shoulder was actually behind mine, and he could not reach the gear shift. So he drove and ran the clutch, and I shifted gears.......

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if could use the bezels out of a F650 to give you Aussie look? :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin