Best Scanner for PSD

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally getting done gathering my parts for injector/HPOP/Intercooler installation. I really want to start with a baseline and get everything tip top with regards to the current stock configuration.

Which brings me to the scanner topic. I did a quick search but didn't learn much other than it seems that a lot of folks who know the PSD run AutoEnginuity.

As always, any input is appreciated.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a snap on solus.
the thing works great, and does its job.
but i dont like the plug in key configuration.
but i got a hell of a deal on it, so......
thats what i use.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using AutoEnginuity since 2004 and I love it. The only down side is you need a Windows Laptop to run it. I am a Mac user but I got the proper computer and I like the detail you can get out of it. You can save/print the scanned pages for future reference.

Dave

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
AE is on my wish list.......... Has been for a while......

But, gotta buy front end parts first....... but that's a different thread

leojr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your intended use?

I have an AE and an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. (This is not what many call a ScanGauge.)

The AI is in my truck %100 of the time and does most of what the AE does. It will show any two of it's read sensors, or can be set to cycle through them. The AI is more tedious to use if you are wanting to monitor more that two sensors, but can be quickly changed to monitor a different two sensors. I like to watch ICP pressure and injector duty cycle. On cold days I'll watch the engine and the trans temps so I have a good feel for when it is warmed up before I start getting aggressive with the throttle.But will retrieve and clear codes and run the contribution and buzz tests.

Due to my lack of committing the time learn its capabilities, I am sure there are things the AE does that I can't do with the AI. Like data logging.

But I do like being able to also use the AE on my wife's explorer.

If I was going to have only one? I bought my AI full price long before a good deal on the AE came along.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I run AE because I had a spare laptop. From what I could tell when I was doing my research, it all came down to personal preference between AE and the Snap-On reader. Both will cost you about the same, and do about the same thing. I just like having an entire computer screen full of data instead of just the little screen on the reader to look at. And it's really easy and quick to go back and forth between tabs with the AE to look at different things.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much did your AE scanner cost fellas?
without the laptop?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I paid $380 for mine. If I ever get around to it, I'll program my ScanGauge II to monitor a couple of things.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
While AE is about the best you can get, not all people need all the extra (great) added features.
As long as your truck is obd2 compliant, there's a plethora of phone apps that can do about 90% of what AE can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ever get around to it, I'll program my ScanGauge II to monitor a couple of things.

When I sold my TDI, I transferred my scangauge2 over to my 99 F250. I have it set up for:

intake air temp
oil temp
boost
hpop pressure