Battery jumper packs?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have small lithium jumper packs in all of our cars and they are very handy and surprisingly powerful.
Turning over an IDI is a different story though. And the packs to do so look pretty expensive. How many peak amps minimum would you buy?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure if any size of booster would be very beneficial on a dual battery setup.

I haven't even had much luck starting a diesel with even my 200amp charger/ booster. Usually if they are low enough that they won't start on their own it either requires boosting each battery separately with cables from 2 vehicles, or the charger on one and cables on the other. Or just let the charger charge for a couple hours.

James

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. I never thought about jumping both batteries. Will try that with 2 small jumper packs some day.
I've heard to connect the black cables to metal rather than the neg. battery post. Correct?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually just hook it up however is easiest. The actual reason you're supposed to connect the negative to bare metal away from the battery with jumper cables is so you don't create a spark at the battery that could ignite the vent gasses from the battery. ( I have heard that a battery explodes like a small bomb, no personal experience though).

James

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes you can hook 2 booster packs to them, 1 on each battery. I run a towing service and I do many boosts, I use a NOCO GB150 or GBX155 and they have started many idi's and powerstrokes for me, on their own. Might not do it if both batteries are stone dead and it's cold, but they will certainly boost them if the batteries are just depleted at too weak to crank the engine over. They will start much larger diesels also, that are not typically as fussy with starting as idi's and psd's can be.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
Yes you can hook 2 booster packs to them, 1 on each battery. I run a towing service and I do many boosts, I use a NOCO GB150 or GBX155 and they have started many idi's and powerstrokes for me, on their own. Might not do it if both batteries are stone dead and it's cold, but they will certainly boost them if the batteries are just depleted at too weak to crank the engine over. They will start much larger diesels also, that are not typically as fussy with starting as idi's and psd's can be.
I can vouch for the NOCO, you can get multiple good starts from one charge.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$300. Ouch. I'll just cal AAA. lol
They're well in the red on my account this year. 2 tows both over 100 miles + 1 jump start. Best $110 I ever spent.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I have had great success with a NOCO GB150. A while back I had a bad battery, alternator and bad ground cable. It kept me running for a few weeks (with recharging it every few jumps) until i got the chance to figure out all the issues.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely two jumpers FTW on these beasts, but one good one would prolly work. I keep meaning to try mine
(Imazing Portable Car Jump Starter - 2500A Peak, now only sold through Costco.com), though I'm not holding my breath. We have one for each car, but I keep cables in the F250. And being a ZF5-- a tow strap, too. Pull start FTW!

I had read that putting the ground clamp to frame was also for a better/cleaner boost: supposed to bypass the giant resistor(dead battery) behind the fender and get more juice to the starter. I've tried it both ways plenty of times and it sure seems to work better with a clean chassis ground vs the battery negative. The trick is finding/making a clean spot.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had great success with a NOCO GB150. A while back I had a bad battery, alternator and bad ground cable. It kept me running for a few weeks (with recharging it every few jumps) until i got the chance to figure out all the issues.
I can verify this also. Seen it start a powerstroke with completely dead batteries.

Boosted a garbage truck with multiple batteries on it. With the garbage truck, the first time the guy hit the keyswitch with the GB150 on it, the GB150 clamps flew off the battery posts. I tried again, and this time they did not fly off, but started smoking. But it cranked the engine over and it started.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought the NOCO Jump Pak GBX 155 4250 amp from Summit Racing about 20 Min. ago.

Didn`t want to spend the money, but this morning the Car didn`t want to start, Snowed yesterday afternoon/night. Down in the single digit #. Close to 4", and everything is froze.
The ole MB 240D said "Up your,s buddy" Iam going to be difficult.
The thing will be here Tues, probably in the evening by brown.

This is what I get for not checking why the BH decided to not work this winter. It`s always worked, thinking it is the plug on the cord.

Goat

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I have an old metal 120v harbor freight charger/engine starter and it helped jump the warmed up RV when the batteries went dead from the gen1 alternator plug coming out and driving with the headlights on. of course i had 300ah of lithium batteries and an inverter to use it there at the rest area and it had manual glow plugs, so I'm sure that helped.

i used it recently on a 28ah jackery knock-off to jump start a v6 Chevy SUV for someone with a dead battery but it would have probably helped an IDI too, at least if it's warmed up or isn't very cold in general.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow up on yesterday. I was trying to get the 240 started so we could get to Church.

I fiddled with the thing all day off and on. Charger connected, then hit to 50amp start. Shoot carb Cleaner down the intake different times. (no starting fluid, don`t like using it, but Iam desperate)
HF Heat gun blowing down under the Intake Manifold.
Finally got the Torpedo propane heater shooting heat under the front end with a blanket over the Engine for 1 - 2 hours etc....
(Condensed version)

Finally the P O S started at 2:30.
Told my Wife, "we are going to Reno and just buy the NOCO". Cancel the order.
Get out of here at 4pm. Roads out here are just Asphalt grinding rolled in and oiled, no painted lines. County made maybe one pass out here with the Plows. Roads are packed Snow/ice, but off we go.

About 2.5 miles there are a couple small hills and slight down grand, (Not much) coming up the 2nd rise, have a bit of pavement on drive wheel. 1/2 ton PU coming up the other lane is have problems getting traction but makes it by me. Just over the top packed ice, and as I ease off the go peddle and back wheels hit the ice, back end goes right and iam heading across the other lane, turn wheel to right, she straightens out a bit, turn wheel to right and we do a 360 and backwards into the ditch and soft dirt. Now we are at a 45 deg angle pointed from where we came from. That was exciting. Like driving on marbles.

Lots on commiefornians moving here, drive by and laugh at me, not one "Hey can I help? You ok?"
5 guys in PU`s stopped to help. gently pulled me out, no damage to car.

Finally get north of Carson City and all the way to Reno, like it didn`t snow.
Get to Summit racing at 6pm. Pick up the NOCO Booster. Came to $400.53.
Guy at the counter said he has the same one, works great. Worth the price.

make it back home w/o problems but was sweating bullets.

Open up the box, has a thick manual, 3 x 5" in about 50 languages, some I never herd of. First 5 pages is English. 2 pages CA. prop 65 BS.
Removed the first 5 pages and rest is fire starter.

Has a cord for the Cigarette lighter, and a cord for a USP connection....But no adaptor for an AC connector. But have plenty kicking around from phones etc...
You get a cloth bag for the unit. For the price should come with the hard case, that has to be purchased separately. Will do that.
Plugged her in this morning to get the full charge takes a couple hours.

I go out, remove the blanket and heat lamp from under the hood to see if she will start, and probably run the battery down etc... and get to use my new toy.

That stupid car started right up :***: :frustrate

There are several YT Vids on this thing. It`s suppose to start a 10L Gas engine or a 8L Diesel.
Saw one vid last night guys semi was at 10.3 volts and a 15L Engine. Started right up.

EDIT:
:***: why did they block this one?

What! Again? It`s the W T F one

Goat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online