Attn: MOOSE Products Owners

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a complete Moose injection pump/injector setup for my truck. I have complete faith in Mel and his products, but would like some real-world feedback on the performance of the products, especially at high altitude operation.

I live in Albuquerque, at about 6000' and usually operate my truck through the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, pulling roughly 7000lbs of trailer and rockcrawler.

Will the Moose setup provide more fuel than I can take advantage of at this altitude? My truck has an ATS Aurora 2000 Turbo kit and an ATS Intercooler, as well as a full 4" MBRP exhaust.

How is the idle with the hotrodded injectors? I'm a little gunshy after my experiences with the DPS junk, and don't want the daily-driveability of my truck to suffer.

Please post up your experiences and feedback if you've operated at altitude with Mel's parts.

Ryan

1994IDI

Reaction score
I can't help, but I will be curious to see the replies. Good luck reklund.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm not yet running Moose misters, and dont know if I'll be able to. But I can say my moose pump makes my motor put out more horses than I know what to do with in a full ton pickup. I drove over 600 miles with it this weekend and I love my motor with the moose pump. My current injectors suck but the pump does everything I'd ever ask it to do. I ran 75mph all day both into a strong headwind and with the wind to my back. going into it I was running 800* EGT and a constant 5-6psi boost. Coming back with the wind to my back I was running 700* EGT or under and 3-4psi boost. If I got slowed down and had to merge back into the 75mph crowd I'd punch it and the boost would climb over 13psi and I'd be well over my intended 75mph before I knew it. In Nebraska I believe I'm at around 5000, not 6000 but its still up there.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really been reaming on my truck since the swap (and my pyro took a crap on me a few weeks ago:mad:), but on rare occasions when I come close to the floor, I can say it can squirt more fuel than the engine can really swallow. Previously the pump simply ran out of smoke at higher RPM. Now its smoking at the setting mel sent it to me with. I sudder to think what would happen if I dared to even look at the fuel screw.

Reliability doesn't seem to be an issue. Truck fired on the first key and I've had no issues so far. Fuel economy seems to be on par for what my truck usually delivers.

The injectors in theory are much better than anything else and should produce a much better burn than even stock injectors. Only dyno run I know of was dissapointing but there were other factors that got in the way.

I have to ask, how does the truck behave now with the pump you have now? Are you running out of smoke at WOT? If you still have smoke now, there is no way you will be able to make use of all the fuel flow.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Moose injectors. There is no compairsion to the DPS injectors. The dyno numbers were skewed because I don't have an intercooler and my boost numbers jumped to 15+ psi with the moose injectors. I had a max of 12-13 with the DPS *******. The 15+ psi boost was way out of the effiecency range of the Banks turbo and the intake charge was way too hot.

I only lost 6HP, but I gained easier starts, less smoke, an 1-2 MPG. I'll take that trade any day.

We pop tested the DPS injectors I removed at the Rally and they were embarassed by the moose injectors. DPS popped at 1200psi and they leaked and pissed a stream.:puke: The Moose injectors popped at 2200 psi and never leaked and unleashed a huge cloud of atomized fuel.;Sweet

I wish I had a Moose IP and an innercooler, but, that will come in the future once the DPS pump craps out.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have driven two Moose pumps on my truck. The second pump was installed at last years ralley by Mel and I.... Driving home 2100 miles at 75 to 85 mph I got overall 18.9 mpg... Thats 3.55 gears... BTS E4OD and a Gearvendors od... Final gear ratio was 1.96..... My motor is built so it can handle the low turning rpms and still pull like a freight train. I really need to install one of my hypermax intercoolers and then dyno it but... Being lazy isn't getting it done.... I run a set of BB code injectors from typ4... They are great... Better than blue steel... A cat couldn't scratch them....:rotflmao:D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask, how does the truck behave now with the pump you have now? Are you running out of smoke at WOT? If you still have smoke now, there is no way you will be able to make use of all the fuel flow.

I currently have my DPS pump on the truck. Smoke clears up over 2500 RPM when the boost pushes past 3-4 psi. Boost pressure tops out around 9.5-10psi with the wastegate rod shortened as far as it will go. I certainly have more room for fuel.

The DPS pump seeps fuel onto the valley pan, has since day one. I think I can likely turn up the pump and get some more out of it, I haven't touched the fuel screw on it at all.

Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you may as well turn up that DPS pump. We both know there's no way Ken will warranty that thing after all the bad press he's gotten on this board and you've already had it a few years. The DPS pumps are supposedly actually pretty good, most of the time, the selling point for the Moose Stuff is that they come attached to Mel, who answers the phone when an OB brother calls and uses a builder that doesn't take shortcuts. By contast the DPS pump is pretty good but it comes attached to Ken who may pick up the phone and may not, and getting him to do work in a timely manner is like pulling teeth. I doubt there's much difference in fuel output in a Moose and a DPS pump, it's the reliabililty and customer service that's the difference. I'd bottom out the fuel screw and back it off a hair, just so you don't cause the IP to self destruct and then see what happens. If nothing else it's a good test for what a Moose Pump might be like. In saying this I'm assuming your truck doesn't get lended out and you drive by the gauges...... there's my disclaimer.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running a "Baby Moose" IP for several months now...and because it runs soooo darn well, I send Mel a Valentines card all the time > and he's my BFF for life! :hail:love::sly:D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a few minutes to slip the truck into the shop today and tinker with the fuel screw settings.

The fuel screw was 1 turn off of bottomed out. I bottomed it and backed it out 1/2 turn. gained 2psi, so it runs about 11 unloaded now. Still has just a slight grey haze out of the tailpipe at WOT, so I'm thinking a little more fuel is what the Dr. ordered.

I'll continue to monitor the performance for the next few weeks, but I'm still leaning towards Moosifying my truck.

Ryan

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Had a few minutes to slip the truck into the shop today and tinker with the fuel screw settings.

The fuel screw was 1 turn off of bottomed out. I bottomed it and backed it out 1/2 turn. gained 2psi, so it runs about 11 unloaded now. Still has just a slight grey haze out of the tailpipe at WOT, so I'm thinking a little more fuel is what the Dr. ordered.

I'll continue to monitor the performance for the next few weeks, but I'm still leaning towards Moosifying my truck.

Ryan

Ryan

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Then I'll know if it's a worthwhile investment at our altitude.:rotflmao

Tom

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
Ryan

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Then I'll know if it's a worthwhile investment at our altitude.:rotflmao

Tom

Moose= WAAAAAYYY over kill if you are N/A. But, over kill is good right? After all you never know when you might need to shut down a highway at will.;Sweet