ATS Air Cleaner doesn't fit!

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need some help here folks. When I try to bolt up the air cleaner assembly, it hangs on the #2 injector line.
You must be registered for see images attach

This leaves a gap between the mounting block on the manifold and the air filter housing.

I tried inserting a spacer, but that changes the angle of the intake and makes it impossible to attach the air cleaner to the turbo. Since the #2 injector line is the same through the years, I'm really stumped why it's in the way. What am I missing?? :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Saddly you have the wrong hard line on that cylinder. I really have never seen one with that type of bend in that area. That line is supposed to follow the others on that side of the engine. They make a nearly 180 degree turn of the injecters. Thats goes for all of them on that side of the engine.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, thanks for the info! Gotta tell ya, this has really been a stumper! I thought all the #2 lines were alike on the IDI motors. And the lines on this motor are the original ones. That's why I've been scratching my head and trying to come up with an alternative mounting method. I'll head over to the local U-Pull-It and start looking under hoods. I think I'll also compare the #4 line as well. It kinda sticks up there just like #2 does.

Any idea why two different styles of injection line?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Original to what is my question. Both the number 2 and 4 are not designed for a truck engine. Might be someone before you broke some lines and was able to have a shop make them yp. I have never seen 2 & 4 cylinders lines like this. I even have a van set and those are differant from what you have. You might be able to bent them so there is clearance but they are really thick lines.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
YUP, that looks like an injection shop made that up. Good ones have the goodies but they will generally leave out any extranious bends if they dont see an immidiate reason for it to be there. . Its kind of tricky getting all those tight bends in there.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I hit the U-Pull-It place in Longview. They have a TON of Fords and a bunch of them are diesel. Of the seven I looked at, one had already been stripped of lines, four had lines like mine and two had 'bent' #2 lines. (Now, none of them have bent lines. :D) Here's what Gary and Robert are talking about:

The top line is the 'straight' one that I found on four of the trucks at the yard. The bottom line is the one I need to install the ATS air cleaner. Interesting that the 'straight' lines were all on F250's (84 - 89) and the 'bent' lines were on F350's (85 and 87). Thanks to information from two of our list members, my air filter fits perfect!

gandalf

Reaction score
In support of what Gary has posted--Here is a picture of the "normal" #2 injector line. It's interesting to have multiple 'not normal' line turn up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the great comparison pics and the complaments. I seem to have learned something today about injecter hard lines. Now to find out why we have differant lines like has now been talked about here. Still kinda wonder if a shop made the lines with the rubber cushion on them. Thats something I have never seen before. Also the lines to cylinders 6 & 8 really should have a vibration dampner clamp on them. That numbe 8 is a long run with no clamp on it. But if its been running like that and not broken yet I suppose its not going to break. It just looks like a too long of a run without support.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! How aggressive does your turbo sound when you step on it?

Don't know yet, still sitting on the carport. The plan is to wash off all the dust and pine pollen and do a test drive tomorrow after lunch. I'm pretty excited, because this'll be the first time it's been on the road in three years. If it runs like I hope it will, it'll become my daily driver. ;Sweet

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great comparison pics and the complaments. I seem to have learned something today about injecter hard lines. Now to find out why we have differant lines like has now been talked about here. Still kinda wonder if a shop made the lines with the rubber cushion on them. Thats something I have never seen before. Also the lines to cylinders 6 & 8 really should have a vibration dampner clamp on them. That numbe 8 is a long run with no clamp on it. But if its been running like that and not broken yet I suppose its not going to break. It just looks like a too long of a run without support.

Good eyes, Gary! Actually the cushion is 1/4" fuel line that I slit along the side and wrapped around the injector line. I was still trying to figure out some sort of pedestal spacer and it seemed like good insurance to protect the line. (Just in case my calibrated eye was a little off.) At this point, all the line clamps have been reinstalled. I even used an additional 2-line clamp on the #5 and #7 lines because of the long run you mentioned. Tried to do that with #6 and #8, but the turbo gets in the way. The OEM configuration doesn't call for the 2-line clamps, so it won't be a disaster if I can't get it in place for the pax side lines.

On another note, good luck with your research. I have access to two Navistar/IHC dealers and two Ford dealers, and there is far more knowledge on this list than is available at the authorized dealership. That's not meant as a compliment; it's a simple statement of fact. Invariably, when I go in for parts or info and mention what I'm working in, folks look off into the distance, think a minute and say "Yeah, I remember those old motors." Uh huh. Yup. Just what I need - vague memories. I'll tell you this, all the straight lines I've found are identical, and Dale (my truck's previous and original owner) never had problems with the injection lines. I'm still pretty clueless on why there's two distinct patterns. Maybe it's GVW thing - F3250 vs F350. I noticed that straight lines showed up on 6.9's as well as 7.3's, so I don't think it's an engine displacement thing. They also showed up on an 85 (early production) and on an 87 (later production). Very weird. Again, I gotta tell ya, this list is what made the second set of pictures possible. Otherwise, I'd be sitting out on the carport today with a bunch of 4" PVC pipe and a Chevy air filter trying to make everything fit. :rolleyes:

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread Dave, but which yard in long view are you talking about?
The pic n pull in vancouver HAD idi's but don't last I checked

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In support of what Gary has posted--Here is a picture of the "normal" #2 injector line. It's interesting to have multiple 'not normal' line turn up.

Ken. This sure is a great clear pic of plenty of items normally missed by the viewer. I'm impressed that the focus is so clear. Looking at the tps drive fitting in the injection pump shaft brings back so issues a member had with how to reinstall this fitting. Here in your pic you can clearly see where the top set screw MUST be for the fitting to be installed on the shaft correctly. I believe that set screw fits into the drilled hole in the shaft and the side set screw is just tight on the shaft. At any rate this is what that fitting must look like when its installed properly. If its set differantly the fitting will force the tps past its position od lock and break it.. Not a fun place to be breaking a new switch. Also I see the back of your ac compresser has a case leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828