Anyone using new Banks, Hypermax, R&D, or home made turbo kits?

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for NEW turbo kit. Looks like the ones listed in the title are the available options. I'm not completely closed minded on the NEW aspect, but it seems like if I get a used one, and have any problem (turbo rebuild, or missing parts) then I've almost spent what a new one would cost. Since I don't know "very much" (read: word that starts with an S and rhymes with ****) about turbos - I"m heavily biased toward a new kit so I don't get burnt.

From looking through details it seems like Banks sells the most, and might be the most proven, and easiest to get parts for, although I don't like that it appears to come with exhaust and a muffler and not an inter cooler option.
Hypermax and R&D have turbo only kits to the down pipe (I think this is what I want) and can be intercooled.

I'll throw this out here too. I'm also toying with the idea of trying to build my own turbo kit if I can find mandel bent tubing in 2" 11 gauge mild steel for the hot side. I'm not a great welder, but I can tig and it seems like a great way to save some money and get all the (deep) learning about turbo charged idi engines that goes along with doing something yourself, albeit with a lot of trial and error. Anyone gone this route?

I'm looking for reliable daily driver power and acceleration - I don't want to get anywhere near the edge of what these engines will put out. I want the engine to last longer than me. The heads have been refitted with turbo valves and secured with ARP head studs. I'm running stock cam, and injection pump will be build to complement turbo.

Once I get project "little foot" frame and drive train assembled (hopefully by the end of this month), I'll be looking for a turbo kit and I'd like to get some input on the options.

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for NEW turbo kit. Looks like the ones listed in the title are the available options. I'm not completely closed minded on the NEW aspect, but it seems like if I get a used one, and have any problem (turbo rebuild, or missing parts) then I've almost spent what a new one would cost.

For my truck - '91 F350 CC SRW - the Banks is about $450 less expensive (than the Hypermax) delivered to my door - but still over $3,000. I'll likely be getting a 'factory' (ATS) system and rebuilding it if I add a turbo.

Eli

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d build it yourself, you will get the most satisfaction out of the experience, and lots of us on here have done our own designs and can help you along the way. If you would rather buy a kit and save the time, I would get the R&D kit. It’s twice the turbo kit any of the other “new” turbo kits with their 25 year old designs and it will get you into a better performing turbo for cheaper (s200 or s300 frame turbos are excellent and affordable) than modernizing any of the other turbos. If you don’t want to spend that much (I sure can’t) I would recommend buying a used kit and spending some money to rebuild it. With some modern wheels in the turbo, and some ceramic coating you can make them better than new.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I’d build it yourself, you will get the most satisfaction out of the experience, and lots of us on here have done our own designs and can help you along the way. If you would rather buy a kit and save the time, I would get the R&D kit. It’s twice the turbo kit any of the other “new” turbo kits with their 25 year old designs and it will get you into a better performing turbo for cheaper (s200 or s300 frame turbos are excellent and affordable) than modernizing any of the other turbos. If you don’t want to spend that much (I sure can’t) I would recommend buying a used kit and spending some money to rebuild it. With some modern wheels in the turbo, and some ceramic coating you can make them better than new.
Plus, I'll bet that you have some complete Factory turbo kits. Or at least you did the last I knew. They were priced WAY below the cost of new kits and can be upgraded in the future.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about the "build your own" option. Do I just need to plumb the exhaust manifolds to a collector that goes into the turbo? Then plumb turbo to inter-cooler? Then inter-cooler to manifold? I know it sounds pretty straightforward, but I'll bet it takes a lot of fiddling to get it right. Is it really just welding the pipe together so it fits? I suppose you need to modify the manifold to accept the piping, and create a mount for the turbo and get oil to and from the turbo. In principle is this the idea? If so, I think I can do it if I can get the material. The stock exhaust is 2" 11 gauge piping. Do you have a source for this with mandrel bends for the hot side, or did you use something else? If something else, what did you use. I think I would like to use as thick piping as I can, as it will make welding easier, and I think it will hold up better. I also would like to use high quality connectors so it can be dis-assembled easily if needed. Is V-groove the best? How much would you expect to spend on materials all told?

Would putting a 1" body lift help with fitment? If so, any recommendations. I would go energy suspension just because I used them before for bushings on my ranger and I was happy with them, but I don't think they have one for our trucks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about the "build your own" option. Do I just need to plumb the exhaust manifolds to a collector that goes into the turbo? Then plumb turbo to inter-cooler? Then inter-cooler to manifold? I know it sounds pretty straightforward, but I'll bet it takes a lot of fiddling to get it right. Is it really just welding the pipe together so it fits? I suppose you need to modify the manifold to accept the piping, and create a mount for the turbo and get oil to and from the turbo. In principle is this the idea? If so, I think I can do it if I can get the material. The stock exhaust is 2" 11 gauge piping. Do you have a source for this with mandrel bends for the hot side, or did you use something else? If something else, what did you use. I think I would like to use as thick piping as I can, as it will make welding easier, and I think it will hold up better. I also would like to use high quality connectors so it can be dis-assembled easily if needed. Is V-groove the best? How much would you expect to spend on materials all told?

Would putting a 1" body lift help with fitment? If so, any recommendations. I would go energy suspension just because I used them before for bushings on my ranger and I was happy with them, but I don't think they have one for our trucks.
The intercooler is for the cold side, while the manifolds and their piping are for the hot side. The cold side goes from the turbo to the intercooler into the intake hat which sits on top of the intake. You may have been talking about the intake manifold instead of the exhaust manifolds, but you didn't specify which one, so it was a little confusing. Modifying the manifold to accept the piping? Again not real clear, but I'll assume that you're talking about the intake here. You don't have to modify the intake manifold at all. You can buy an intake hat that sits on top of the intake and the intercooler piping attaches to that. At one time, Russ had some of those that he was selling. I think Wes mat have made an intake that was already modded to have the intercooler piping attach directly to it. Justin at R&D may offer one as well. I had a local aluminum welder make one for me. If you make your own crossover and Y pipe, you want to remember that you basically want to make it as short as reasonably possible to keep the spooling time to a minimum. If you're going to do all of this, you may want to have it ceramic coated. It will keep it from rusting plus it will hold the heat inside the exhaust better which will make the turbo spool up faster. As for a turbo mount, you could use one from an existing turbo kit to keep the fab work simple. Lastly, the body lift couldn't hurt. I'd bet that Energy Suspension still makes a body lift kit.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
I have a factory turbo kit from a 1994 7.3 IDI.

Question, what are some better ideas of upgraded turbos to use and adapt to fit?

I noticed R&D website says they are sold out of their Borg Warner turbos. I'd like to get some better ideas on turbo ideas.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a factory turbo kit from a 1994 7.3 IDI.

Question, what are some better ideas of upgraded turbos to use and adapt to fit?

I noticed R&D website says they are sold out of their Borg Warner turbos. I'd like to get some better ideas on turbo ideas.
Get a hold of Wes at Classic Diesel Designs. He offers upgraded turbos too.

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
Get a hold of Wes at Classic Diesel Designs. He offers upgraded turbos too.
I just found the Classic Diesel Design website. There is some great stuff on there that I'm already getting my interest peaked.

I like the idea of the intake, the hat, a 110 pump and a nice upgraded turbo.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just found the Classic Diesel Design website. There is some great stuff on there that I'm already getting my interest peaked.

I like the idea of the intake, the hat, a 110 pump and a nice upgraded turbo.
Me too. I just don't have anything to put it on. No Factory Turbo on my 1985.:( I guess what I have will have to do for now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/turbos-and-turbo-parts ;Sweet

Let me know if you have any questions on the turbo upgrades or any of my other products and services. I try to help guide every customer in building a combination of fuel and air parts that suit their goals and budget the best.

A lot of my testing has been on my shop truck, one of my past combinations was a stock idit setup with what is now the 110 pump. With the stock unintercooled turbo setup I saw over 26 psi, but made no more power than at 17 psi because the turbo was so far out of its efficiency range. Upgrading the cold and possibly the hot side as well, really uncorks the factory turbo setup and allows for more power at less boost as well as increasing your boost range overall.

Here’s a little ride around of a customers rig with a 60-1/t350 turbo. Pretty sweet sounding turbo.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Snowmanw900

Reaction score
https://classicdieseldesigns.com/collections/turbos-and-turbo-parts ;Sweet

Let me know if you have any questions on the turbo upgrades or any of my other products and services. I try to help guide every customer in building a combination of fuel and air parts that suit their goals and budget the best.

A lot of my testing has been on my shop truck, one of my past combinations was a stock idit setup with what is now the 110 pump. With the stock unintercooled turbo setup I saw over 26 psi, but made no more power than at 17 psi because the turbo was so far out of its efficiency range. Upgrading the cold and possibly the hot side as well, really uncorks the factory turbo setup and allows for more power at less boost as well as increasing your boost range overall.

Here’s a little ride around of a customers rig with a 60-1/t350 turbo. Pretty sweet sounding turbo.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's awsome. Very nice sounding setup!