TCM R&R

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a 1993 F250 with the 7.3 IDI and E4OD the TCM is located below and to the right of the master cylinder. The TCM is removed and replaced by pulling/pushing into the firewall. There is no reason to remove the kick panel inside the cab. The inner fender has to be moved but not necessarily removed. Even if the TCM is loosened and pulled from its resting place the inner fender will prevent the TCM from being fully removed. Getting enough clearance to pull the TCM out was accomplished by removing the wheel arch trim then the small screws that hold the inner fender in place to allow the rear part of the inner fender to be loosened and bent forward. Once that access is gained the TCM is right there accessed through the wheel well. The inner fender developed a crease from forcing it away but I'm hopeful that a heat gun will help me return the inner fender to its former shape and mounting holes when I reassemble it.
I've ordered a replacement TCM from NAPA online which has taken 10 days so far and still hasn't shown up. The TCM I removed looked pristine - no burnt odors and the capacitors which sometimes degrade and leak looked fine. All circuit traces were clean - the rear tab (which must allow programming but is only accessible by disassembly did have a funky waxy, whitish deposit over all the tabs was the only possible visible defect I saw. Possibly that funk was allowing cross contact leakage. Possibly the TCM has a bad component that is not visibly apparent.
Before I removed the TCM I looked around for a video or description of how to do it and found very little. Even the two volume 2,000 plus page shop manual for the truck has an illustration of what the TCM looks like but nothing else. An alternator AC ripple (who knew?) might have ruined the TCM which causes the recently rebuilt transmission to go into fault mode. Time will tell...

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That waxy looking film is some sort of silicone crap applied during manufacturing. It is to prevent anything from shorting across the contacts. When installing a chip in the powerstroke pcm a good deal of time is spent cleaning that stuff off.

James

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then the waxy film wasn't the problem with the original TMC. UPS hopefully will bring reconditioned TCM by 7PM tonight...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That waxy looking film is some sort of silicone crap applied during manufacturing. It is to prevent anything from shorting across the contacts. When installing a chip in the powerstroke pcm a good deal of time is spent cleaning that stuff off.

James
That's what I was going to say. It sounds exactly like describing a OBS Power Stroke PCM. If a TCM for a IDI has that port too, I wonder if it's possible to access it and change the programming like Greenie guessed?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess you should be able to install a powerstroke chip with tunes written for only transmission calibration, as long as someone has the calibrations. Someone could write tunes for different shift strategies for heavy towing or super low rpm upshifts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
That would be super cool if it could be done. It may help to lengthen the life of a E4OD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.