Anyone else still thinking of Spectre?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't pulled it back off I take a picture yet. Put my other filter back on it quick the other night because I needed the truck. Didn't notice a power loss and the boost gauge stayed around 7-8 psi pulling the mountain with a 7k trailer on the back. Probably run it until I find a suitable replacement turbo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and search for DIY tymar intake.the filter is a bit expensive at 60 bux but it was tested and proven to filter better and flow more air than any of the other aftermarket crap out there.

brokeasajoke

Reaction score
So what is our options to replace that crappy banks cone and retain banks plastic filter housing or not possible?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I don't like about the Tymar filter is that it draws hot air from the engine compartment. Think of how hot it gets. I've done IAT measurements on trucks with similar intakes and they added 100 plus degrees to the IAT versus a closed filter with ducted air. Remember that an extra hundred in is an extra hundred out, plus hot air is less dense with oxy. The Tymar filter looks like a decent filter, but I've never seen any tests that prove it's efficiency. The ones I've seen look like they are a polyester filter of some type, so my presumption is they would be near a factory style filter in efficiency and I don't seriously doubt the 98 percent claims made above. The airflow increase comes from the increased filter area. Per square inch of media, it's probably about the same as a factory style filter. What it needs is an enclosure with ducted frontal air.

I could imagine a scenario where the power gains that come from an increase in airflow (which are usually small and at the upper rpm range unless the original filter is totally inadequate) are negated by hotter intake air, so whatever time and money you spent are wasted. In that scenario, the stock set is better day to day. Myself, as my testosterone levels decrease with age, I will choose filtration efficiency over airflow any time. I can remember fondly that days when I thought differently, but age has given me the opportunity to see engines that died before their time due to inadequate filtration.

As to replacing the Banks with something, I'm in the same boat. Mine is the first gen kit from '87, the "Big Box", with a square oiled cotton gauze filter and there is no alternative but to remove it, housing and all, and fab up something. Since I like the retro look, I'm sticking with it. I don't clean it often and that's a key. The dirtier they are, the better they filter and I don't clean it until the restriction gauge reaches 15 inches of water. If the option of a foam sock exists for any Banks, K&N or oil cotton gauze filter, that's the answer. That extra filtration more or less brings the filtration level the few notches it needs to be adequate, which means in the 98 to 99 percent initial area IMO. The cost in airflow isn't huge.

If you guys will permit, here are pics of my old Bum-V... built in 2000 on a diesel Blazer chassis. In the engine shot, look across tot eh far side of the engine compartment and look at that monstrous tractor air filter I installed. I eventually ducted it to outside air, though the engine compartment in that rig didn't get very hot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys will permit, here are pics of my old Bum-V... built in 2000 on a diesel Blazer chassis. In the engine shot, look across tot eh far side of the engine compartment and look at that monstrous tractor air filter I installed. I eventually ducted it to outside air, though the engine compartment in that rig didn't get very hot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

a chevy!!?!:eek:
odd that i cannot see the attachments in the OG post, but i can in the quote

but not when i post your quote.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my new "custom Spectre" turbo wheel
You must be registered for see images attach

I have a new filter system in the works, when I'm done ill post pics of it

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OUCH!! I went ahead and fabbed completely custom on mine... it draws from where the drivers side battery used to be. MASSIVE Wix filter; it feels like you don't have a filter at all (the filter was designed to flow for about 200 more cubic inches..) so pretty much zero resistance feeding the IDI

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could always build yourself a nice box with a cool air duct for the tymar.