Anyone else still thinking of Spectre?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok guys.so here are pics of the unit (unassembled cus it's unnecessary).
it appears to be user error OR they revised their filters?

so as you can see in the pics,on the inside of the cone,there is nothing that can come off.it's a total seal.i can't say these filters didn't used to come with a tin piece that could come flying off?:dunno however why would they have?

now turn the unit around and there is a hard piece of black plastic it looks like on the nose.perhaps it also used to be made of tin? either way this could damage the turbo if it were to come off,however this isn't the side you place towards the turbo anyway.
so perhaps what happened was,the unit was placed backwards and this end cap came off? if so that sucks either way and what we can learn from this thread is insure to always put the assembly on the correct way as if you would install the assembly as a bare filter and there is never anything inside that can come off.
or in other words,insure the allen head screws (out around the case,that you would undue to remove the filter) are towards,not away from the turbo.

my only gripe with this,is it's size.no doubt it flows way more than an typical idi turbo kit can handle (probably far beyond) but that i'll have to clean it more often is all.however since it's so much easier to remove and install than the crappy fitted banks/KnN filter,that's a small negative to me.

pic on the right would be placed towards the turbo.nothing inside the cone to come loose.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    726.3 KB · Views: 29
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmm.i dunno though.FarmerFrank,i looked back on your pic and your showing inside the cone,so it appears you did have it installed correctly.are you 100% positive something from this air filter is what hit your turbo? do you think they revised the filters and removed the tin piece your speaking of?
is this tin piece under that sealed up red/pink plastic dipped stuff on the end.this came apart in your filter and the tin piece let go from here? this is all iv got.:dunno

wish you used the flash on your cam.all we can see in yours is black.

on a side note,no way will the banks/KnN filter fit this small assembly.darn.now this thread has be ******** bricks lmao.

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck mine looked nothing like that. I already burnt the dang thing so I can't take any more pictures of it lol.

Yes it's kinda impossible to put a cone filter on the wrong way. The big end goes on the pipe.... The filter end goes the other way..... It had that inverted spot at the end and they put that tin chrome cover in the middle.

It didn't "destroy" my turbo, but it sure as the heck didn't help it out any either.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did yours have that "cone in a cone" style? As in, you have the main filter cone, and also in the top end of the filter there's a smaller cone attached, tapering opposite of the outside of the filter? then was the tin piece at the end of that smaller cone? Not sure if that's a good explanation of what I mean.....

Edit: just looked at the first pic of the thread...Yes that is clearly what the deal was...

Sorry for the useless post LOL LOL

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did yours have that "cone in a cone" style? As in, you have the main filter cone, and also in the top end of the filter there's a smaller cone attached, tapering opposite of the outside of the filter? then was the tin piece at the end of that smaller cone? Not sure if that's a good explanation of what I mean.....

Edit: just looked at the first pic of the thread...Yes that is clearly what the deal was...

Sorry for the useless post LOL LOL

Precisely what it was.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAUTION!!!!!

vital update!

so i went to clean this filter for the first time today;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035GS6RU

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57139&d=1431958041

that black tip fell off!!! note it's the outside of the cone so it was simply resting inside with nowhere to go...however if i had made a simple mistake and installed this tubular case the other way around,that black plastic/metal underside would have possibly found itself kissing my turbo wheel too!!!
so with it removed there is still a solid plastic coating melted or whatever to hold the filter together so it looks like it'll be fine without it and if i ever mess up now and put it on backwards (cus it's in a tube case) i'll never have to fret about it coming off.
so if you buy one of these reach in and pluck the end cap off for good measure so you never need to worry about it.

with the black cap off it just looks like this inside;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57138&d=1431958041

i sure am glad i payed attention during install! could have set me back a grand right there.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a good note,it cleaned inside of 2 mins using dawn dish soap flushing up and down in a 5 gallon bucket of water......without the need to remove the filter from the case! yeah baby.and was easily able to spray oil it well also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online