Anti Gel Product (Howes)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else using this product?
Years ago I was all about Power Service but saw this at the local Walmart for less $.
Some very low single digit Temps coming here this weekend and I certainly don't want to get stuck.

Attachments

• 20240117_072250.jpg
    20240117_072250.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 7

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone else using this product?
Years ago I was all about Power Service but saw this at the local Walmart for less $.
Some very low single digit Temps coming here this weekend and I certainly don't want to get stuck.
Keep buying power service… howes doesn’t really work.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I wish this guy would do a similar test routine on the various Opti-Lube products. Supposedly they are very good for performance and anti-gel but seeing a decent round of controlled tests would be very interesting.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
During the '70's & early '80's when I was semi truck driving all over US yr round, if I couldn't find diesel #1 or be able to fill up at Farmer CO-OP with Kerosene I always carried 5-6 gal of reg gasoline with me. Temp get down 0* or below I'd add 5-6 gal gas to 100-125 gal diesel.

Sun nite got down -5*, Monday morning tried crank on my '14 Chev Duromax Diesel & Fuel jelled!!!!!! No crank.

Warmer today so going to figure out how to crank it. Don't think plug-in block heater is working.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kdo provided the test video which is worth watching but kinda long.

Since we're only talking about anti-gel properties Howes should work fine (as mentioned by the video PS and Howes are tested around min 7:45 - 8:30). It does not perform very well for lubricity, however.

It doesn't get very cold in western wa (maybe a handful of days/year in the 20s but months in the 30s) and haven't had any gelling issues with Howes. Have switched over to power service after seeing a bunch of their products on sale for like $2/bottle at Lowes.

Howes seems available at most gas stations which is what I like about it the most.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a screenshot (sorry kind of hard to read) from the test video above on ranking the anti-gel performance of the test additives. I'm surprised Howes performed this well considering others don't prefer it - I do not have an opinion here just saving y'all the time of watching the video

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howes has never kept equipment from gelling up at the company I work for… power service has always worked better… in my experience

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Ive always double dosed with howes for the lower temperature recommendation and never had a problem even when it was below zero.

I will say this though it made my truck start noticeably better in the cold. I thought it was just a coincidence but several times after running out of it the truck would not start as fast or easy. I used it at every fill up in the winter when I was daily driving my IDI.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO has a bad experience to share about howes in the what did you do with your truck today thread. Seems it doesnt really work well.
Also in the same thread, I had a truck driver friend tell me today that he thinks that Howe's is junk. He prefers Power Service.
I wish this guy would do a similar test routine on the various Opti-Lube products. Supposedly they are very good for performance and anti-gel but seeing a decent round of controlled tests would be very interesting.
I was considering buying some Opti Lube winter blend since I run summer blend for lubricity. I just like to be able to go into a store and buy something off the shelf. Maybe I'll have to do some planning ahead and buy some Opti Lube before winter so I have it on hand.

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
Ive been running Opti-Lube winter blend here in Kansas and not a single issue yet. Every diesel generator on this site gelled up Monday, truck fired up with no issues. I would also recommend their summer blend for the summer. 1 gallon for about 90$ lasts me around 4 months, treats 2,500 gallons.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would also recommend their summer blend for the summer. 1 gallon for about 90$ lasts me around 4 months, treats 2,500 gallons.
That's why I run it. The best bang for the buck that I've found.
Ive been running Opti-Lube winter blend here in Kansas and not a single issue yet.
You must really feel out of your element. Where are you working at?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been running Opti-Lube winter blend here in Kansas and not a single issue yet. Every diesel generator on this site gelled up Monday, truck fired up with no issues. I would also recommend their summer blend for the summer. 1 gallon for about 90$ lasts me around 4 months, treats 2,500 gallons.
I've been running the Opti-Lube XPD year round. Somewhere I read a test and it came out on top. I hadn't paid attention that there were seasonal blends until you mentioned it here. The XPD looks to have almost as much winter stuff as the winter blend. I've never had any gelling but maybe I'll grab a few pints of winter blend for when serious cold is forecast.

Attachments

• 71HBAm0RNQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71HBAm0RNQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online