Anti Gel Product (Howes)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I normally used power service.

I remember someone on here years ago, swore by Howes. They were a OTR Driver…. but the thing they did say about Howes is, they never gelled up, but you had to use the Howes in EVERY TANK of fuel, year around.

With the PS stuff, you could go all summer and use nothing, and switch to the white bottle when it got cold, and it was good to go immediately….

But, if you are going to have single digit temps, put something in, and have it on hand when you get fuel. Sunday, I got fuel at my normal, hi volume station. Was out of fuel treatment, and the next stop was to get a bottle… never made it to get the treatment. Had to take the car and get PS 911 (red bottle)…. It worked….. but now guess who get to replace the 21 year old factory starter, that I have been somewhat mean to over the years……..

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the peak multi-season additive for the last couple years. It was on clearance at tractor supply for $2.50 a bottle so I bought everything they had lol (regular price was $19.99). I’ve never had a problem, but I don’t think I’ve ran it more than 10 below. My diesel is also mixed 50/50 with 5w20 oil. I’m not sure whether that helps or hurts with gelling.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, that YouTube channel, Project Farm, is an excellent resource. He tests every tool and product under the sun, and has helped me make many decisions over the years.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
De Soto's probably not all that strange. It's not like it is out here in northwest Kansas.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not working in South Carolina, but very near it. Probably not much further from where I am working to where you’re from than from where you are working to where I’m from.

Tomorrow at 2 AM I leave for Utah

SouthernIDI

Reaction score
I’m not working in South Carolina, but very near it. Probably not much further from where I am working to where you’re from than from where you are working to where I’m from.

Tomorrow at 2 AM I leave for Utah
Gotcha gotcha. Yeah I live around Greenville SC.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen issues with howes not working to prevent gelling, Never used it myself, so it might have been bio-related too, I don't really know.

I used to swear by power service white bottle. It's all we've ever used. We maintain a few fleets. We had near 0 weather predicted this past weekend, so on friday we treated them all with power service. Had near 0 weather again Wednesday, all were treated for it, and every bus had issues, 3 of which died mid-route. I only had 2 bottles of 911 on the shelf, and got 2 going again on the side of the road. I know project farm said 911 did nothing, it worked for me, and I'll likely use it again on side of the road emergencies.

The anti-gel/white bottle on the other hand, did not. So a handful of phone calls later and we're now trying/using Diesel force ultimate 11. We've got more 0° weather predicted Saturday, so I guess I'll see how it works. If our oil salesman wasn't halfways convincing on this stuff, I'd likely have tried hotshot's antigel. But our salesman did a good job of explaining why powerservice failed us, and why his product won't. And the big kicker was he could get us several cases overnight, whereas hotshots was a few days out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use Bio at work. I drive a 09 6.4 powerstroke there. First few years I worked here, I got stranded several times from the bio gelling up. It's nasty stuff. After that, during the winter only, I pour Howes in the tank at every fill-up. Never had a problem getting stranded after that.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Another vote for Howes not doing what it's supposed to. Doesn't help with gelling and there has been no study anywhere that I have found (and i've looked hard) to show that it adds any form of lubricity. IN FACT, there was one that showed a DECREASE in overall lubrication when in use.
It's nothing more that a pretty gold color in a clear bottle that makes us feel good. Onwards to other things.

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been using Howe's for years with no issues...I use a higher ratio than the directions indicate....seems to quiet the injectors a bit, too....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online