another IDI drinking WMO

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Frank, I don’t have experience with any of those pumps, but I do like this one the best of all you picked out. 18gpm would be sweet.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200201424&R=200201424

That is a lot of money though.

One thought, I’ve seen people T into their vacuum pump and hook that to one bung on a barrel, and attach an oil pick-up hose to the other bung on a barrel. And let me tell you that will move some oil. I don’t know the GPM, but the one I saw worked well.

But if your gonna buy a pump anyway, the one above looks like a nice one.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
yep - that's my fave from the catalog alright (for my needs & budget anyway). the $$$ is a ******, huh? not to mention the fact that i'd still have to buy hoses ;Pissed

what'd you think of the filterhead, Rob? and i meant to ask you - why did you do away with the Cat filter (in the 'update' thread?)? and why did you go with a fuel filter set-up instead of an oil filter one?
i'm trying to buy this pump ONCE. i may get into other alt fuels, IE: WVO, plus the compound is heated with red diesel, so maybe there's another reason for a portable pump... i may have to pump some bunker fuel out of ********* & into the 275 gallon tank some day in an emergency;Really

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Frank, that cat filter stayed. it's still mounted on my wall and I use it every time. I think one of my pictures doesnt show it cuz it was taken before I had it.

As far as oil filter vs fuel, I went with fuel only because it seemed easier to verify the micron rating of the fuel filters. As far as that filter head goes that you are looking at, I think thats the one Aric is using (93turboanimal) seems to do the job just fine for him.

sassyrel

Reaction score
guys--when i first started doing this--my ip man told me that our pumps wouldnt stand anything over 5 microns----YOU HAVE TO FILTER IT TO THIS---unless you want to be replacing ip's--the injectors will stand 10 microns---this from the original thread about me burning wmo---2 years ago--

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
actually Rob I just bought that filter and I'm planning on mounting that one on my truck I have a big pump mounted to an 8HP tractor I use to pump my oil and I have a golden rod filter mounted on the pump and it works great 10 micron rating and the filters are only $5 apiece at TSC you can also get that other filter there also and the replacement filters also at only $10 I would try and stay with an oil pump since thats what your pumpimg as that 18 GPM rating on the one pump is for #2 it will be lower pumping thicker fluid

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
sassyrel said:
guys--when i first started doing this--my ip man told me that our pumps wouldnt stand anything over 5 microns----YOU HAVE TO FILTER IT TO THIS---unless you want to be replacing ip's--the injectors will stand 10 microns---this from the original thread about me burning wmo---2 years ago--
So, does that mean out stock fuel filters filter down to 5 microns? If so, then prefiltering will get rid of the big stuff, while the stock fuel filter can handle the little stuff. We will just have to change the stock fuel filter more often.
John

WILLD

Reaction score
I know a company in AZ that was trying to use hydraulic fluid for the same purpose. They eventually gave up due to excessive wear in the engines from metal particulates and silicates from dirt that were too small to filter out. WMO might be a better alternative since there is less likelihood of metal particulates and dirt contamination from our engines than high speed hydraulic systems in Industrial applications.

Just 2 cents from other peoples hard work that they passed on to me. I like the idea, but I'm not sold on it yet. When you get 20-30K miles on this I'll be watching, till then I'm sitting on the fence hoping it works.

By the way. There is a company that manufactures reuseable engine oil filters that are supposed to get 10 microns. They are in Summit's catalog. Pretty pricey, but if you add up all the filters at $8.00 each you will use each year, it might pay for itself. Don't know, just a random thought.

Good luck.

sassyrel

Reaction score
trhe question you have to ask yourself willd, is, what were they filtering their oil down to??? 60 microns is a human hair--i filter mine to 5 microns before truck--and the filters for our fuel is 5 microns--thats mighty small--could always rig up a cat 1r-750--which is 2 microns absolute--or a amsoil bypass filter--which is 1 micron--thats nearly nothing---dont know all the equations in their filtering for their trucks-----

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, hold off on the article until you finalize your choice of pump and filter. I think the "refinery" pictures would be key to the article. I agree that fuel additives should no longer be needed with the WMO. Another significant savings, since a bottle of Howes is now like $14.00 :rolleyes:

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
funny you should say that, Mel...
i may have just burned up one of these last night.
got about 80 gallons of Rotella before the thing quit -cuss
now i'm off to try to get 2 almost full drums of WMO off the back of the truck with that hand pump cookoo

JayeL

Reaction score
Question: Can you burn synthetic WMO or a synthetic-blend WMO in your diesel, or must it be dino only?

sassyrel

Reaction score
tbirdfiend281--no response--why???? am i out of the loop now--and yet the first one?? amazing--big heads---

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online

No members online now.