another IDI drinking WMO

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
yes, ********* is now on a steady diet of waste motor oil at a rate somewhere in the neighborhood of 10:1.

i've been following the threads here & over at the drama stop for a while now, & have also been bugging the snot out of Ron asking him questions about his little experiment. a big thanks to Rob for the great write-up & pics of the filtration system ;Sweet

as you can see, my set-up is a little simpler :D i opted to go cheap for my test batch, so i simply used some 'micro clean' vacuum cleaner bags from WalMarket & slowly filtered the garbage into clean containers. 1 gallon takes about an hour to drain through these bags (back of the package says they filter down to 5 microns), so i'm fairly confident that they're getting a lot of **** out...

i'm thinking that instead of going with an electric pump, i may fab up some tubes to hold some filterbags & just use a manually operated pump - going into a primary then a secondary filterbag. i already have a clean plastic 55 galon drum, but more on that as i get further in to it.

the truck really seems to like this junk! i'm filtering it & dumping it in without cutting (thinning) it a bit - 2 gallons per tank upon fill-up. seems to burn well, with better power and believe it or not - less smoke. i'll be checking mileage tomorrow night, but i think that's going to be up too. no noticable change in EGT's (if anything, a litlle lower? :confused: )
all in all, i'm really pleased so far (~250 miles). i have a 400 mile trip to make in the next day or two, so we'll see how she like a run up I95 to DC :thumbsup:

You must be registered for see images attach

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Nice! That is a good idea with the vaccum bags.
Setting that up with a drip into it might be nice as well. Be interesting to see how well they hold up after being soaked in oil, if they start to rip or anything.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
biggest problem I've had with bags, is that if not supported in the center, they will often streatch after a few hours.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps supporting the bag with a hunk of porch screen would be a good idea. Frank, if you get this perfected, I'd love to see this written up as a tech article how-to, as I plan to follow in your footsteps with the Bronco and I'm sure others would as well. ;Sweet

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
havin a repair shop i have a ton of used oils to get rid of.if this can be done without hurting any engine components id like to hear about it.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Rich, start reading here. then go to this thread. there was some discussion here. and the ongoing discussion over at the drama stop.

forgot to mention that i put about 3 gallons through each bag without issue - it was just a mess! these are simply a paper bag with some kind of 'micro lining' and i noticed no stretching or tearing. i just wanted fresh bags & at $4 for 4 of them...
as far as support, i think using pvc or similar, i can make a housing that will funnel into a container (or another filter/housing) - this housing would look/act just like the ones on the filterbag site.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Rich no one has a definite answer on this yet some think it would hurt the fuel system others argue that filtered down theres nothin left to hurt but you have to decide if you can do the work then our fuel systems are not that expensive and at the price of diesel would not take long to come out ahead

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
havin a repair shop i have a ton of used oils to get rid of.if this can be done without hurting any engine components id like to hear about it.
I have been looking at the 15 gallons of used oil sitting in the garage and thinking at $3/gallon, I should be filtering it and using it for fuel also.

rthomas

Reaction score
ive been burning wmo at a 10% mix for a year now with no ill affects, i even think its good for the pump and injectors

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I've run a couple tanks of 10% WMO and it seems to work fine. I am now doubling my mix to 4 gallons of WMO to each fill up. (21%) First batch seems to go OK. Starts up fine with a little bit of smoke. Runs and drives good. I have another 8 gallons of WMO mixed 50/50 with #2 fintered and waiting to be poured in. I just need to drive somewhere to rack up some miles.
John H

rubberfish

Reaction score
This is another good idea you guys are talking about.:)
So what your doing is filtering used oil and
tossing in a few gallons with each fill-up?
This sounds easier than veggi oil, is it?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The good thing is, the WMO is readily available and like Russ I too agree with the lubrication of the fuel system.
For example, Goldie's injector stutter with a poor injector has diminshed to nuthin but pure music. No more stutter. ;Sweet
For giggles, I experimented with a straight D2 tank full and the stutter was beginning to return. cookoo
SOOO back to the brewin'.
Gonna even experiment with 3 gallons of WMO in the rear tank as drill is this weekend and will give me a good cookoo rundown for performance at cruising altitudes. :Sly
Heck with an unlimitied supply of WMO and a few injectors and IP's floating around, the oil burnin' is gonna continue here. ;Sweet

rubberfish

Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
unlimitied supply of WMO and a few injectors and IP's floating around
That's one of the things I wanted to ask. I'm not considering
running straight oil, but would a mix be ******* anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert