another 7.3l build question

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Use the spec sheet above.... If the head thickness is below specs you have instant boat anchors... The valve recession is just as important too. Also watch the vlave tip prjection from the spring keepers.... Good luck and keep us informed.

f350flatbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read on here that the Fel-Pro gaskets are thicker than stock, would this compensate for the milling?

Paul B

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Felpro head gaskets are about 74 to 76 thousands thick. Don't use this for trying to mill more off that is really needed. As posted, some shops just mill because its easy and they do it so you get charged and it makes sure "things" are flat.. Less chance of a comeback. The .006 measurement overall is a very generous amount. That from end to end of the head and as I recall not more than .003 in any 6 inch area... The precups need special attention too. They can be +or- .0025 above or below the head. Thats 2 1/2 thousands up or down. Most shops can't grind these precups because they are very exotic material. I think its inconel. Grinding them while they are in the heads can really mess up the wheels and the head is they vibrate out because they are loose in the heads. Just some food for thought.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who is making injector for the idi and whitch ones are the best ones out there

Well that is a short list. Ken at DPS is the only guy. He is hard to get hold of and can be slow at times as well. Some here don't like him, some like him, and the rest are somewhere in between. I have his IP and injectors and had good service and a good experience with Ken. Others have not. As far as his products. Certainly makes more fuel than maxed out stock components. Mel (agnem) sells a performance IP (the Moose Pump), but not injectors (yet;Really :D ).

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey 69dieselfreak.

69dieselfreak said:
thanks for the info hey i ordered injectors monday from ken the stage 1's exectly how slow is ken on that stuff and were u pleased and how come some people arnt happy with him anyway thanks for your in put

Kevin, I got you PM, but you need to enable your "recieve PM" option. I could not send this to you via PM because the site said you don't want to recieve PM's or someting........anyway......to your questions.

Some have waited months for parts from Ken, some got theirs quickly. I got mine in about 7 business days, pretty quick. He is hard to get on the phone as well. Your best shot in about 9-10 am. The big reason some don't like Ken is that he is slow at times, is hard to get on the phone, and can be slow to address problems or ignore the customer all together.:backoff But, Like I've said, I had a good experience with him.

If Mel gets performance injectors in addition to his performance IP, he will kill all of Ken's business. He is here all the time and easy to contact and is great about customer service.;Sweet

Heath

haywire

Reaction score
i dunno if these guys are any good, but they advertise some interesting stuff for the idi. i think someone else posted this link a while back www.barnetthighperformance.com they claim they have a stroker kit, ported heads, and some other goodies coming soon. i've been gonna call em and see what they have to say.

sootman73

Reaction score
seem like good guys to deal with by just looking at their ebay accounts. lots of good feedback from previous customers. not saying they are good but seem to be honest guys. their feedback rate is 98.1% with nearly 350 feedbacks. clues ya in to what they are like. would like to know about the motors more though

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would like to hear more about Barrett's products/motors as well. I've never seen or heard of them before now.:dunno They list "twin turbo" motor as well.;Really It'd be cool if they post here and fill us in eh?

Heath

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i just looked at there site and those engines that would be sweet i would like to see how they would peform
twin turbos cams and other things if i blow up my engine i think i would go with one of those i was suprised to see that stuff they need to post here because i think they would get a good number of business