Aluminum Radiators On the Cheap...

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yes, the rad company REALLY neads to adjust there packaging, but it is not all them. these rads come FED EX. a couple weeks ago at work a fed ex truck stopped to drop off some tires. i looked in the back of the truck. to begin with it looked like a bome went off in truck. the thing that really caught my eye was the HP computer that i saw mixed in with the tires and rims. the computer was just sitting in the pile.

that right there sealled the deal for me. i will never ship anything fed ex if i can help it.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
lol i took the chance being about 6 hours away from them. Cant even make it that far :dunno for what it worth those tranny cooler nipples thread off. The was the only damage i had on mine. I have a hand shaker to i just un threaded them and wam bam no damage ;Sweet

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What's the brand of the purple coolant? I'm assuming it convetional low silicate thats precharged with SCA. If your running the CAT conventional that is precharged you should be fine but if its CAT ELC I wouldn't mix them.

Recochem Turbo power HD?

http://www.recochem.com/en/products...ower_diesel_extended_life_antifreeze_coolant/

Sorry about that, I didn't even see that post earlier!! A little late, but this is the stuff!

i totally understand the need to be cheap...but after all the same claims by 3 different members here.....why in the world go and tempt fate and have one shipped across the country?

My rad made it in one piece. It was just a touch twisted, out by about 3/4 of an inch or so? I cna't remember.

The rad performs AWSOME though!! I had the plow on the truck the other day, WITH my winterfront on and that thing never heated up above 207* which is where it normally runs (i think my gauge is inaccurate)

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh, my truck is a manual so I am not worried about the trans ports. I just feel the principle of the fact is sad. It was one of those things that for $100 less i was willing to take the chance as long as the core wasnt damaged. But excited for the cooling abilities

Edit- The company offered to return my old one and ship new at no charge to me. I inquired about compensation due to the core not being damaged and I felt it was a waste for all parties. So the offered to replace the fitting or compensate me. I requested a refund of shipping and handling ($30) they refunded $50. Overall couldnt ask for more.

Last edited:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Champion just showed up. Similar damage as everyone else. Both fittings that screw on to the trans cooler are bent all to hell, but otherwise the radiator is in good shape.
Having done aluminum sheetmetal fab work similar to this in the past, I can say that there are some hours in welding one of these together, let alone the cost of the raw materials. There's probably $100 in the aluminum alone. I'm not surprised they didn't do a really good job of deburring, straightening, and making sure everything is perfect; that part is something most all of us can handle ourselves.
It's looking like one hell of a good radiator for $240.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant believe they still havent learned how to pack a radiator for shipping, someone down there must either be stupid, or just not care!
Too bad, it's a nice looking product for the price.

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd like one of their radiators but I could imagine what it would look like by the time to got to Hawaii; something along the lines of a ball of crumpled aluminum foil comes to mind.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I saw, if they would have just removed the fittings from the tranny cooler, it would have been just fine.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You know what's weird, when my rad showed up my barb fittings were taped to the top of the rad, they were not installed. Why not just do that with all the radiators that leave their warehouse?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Just measured my stock radiator and its 37.5 inches wide. None of the aluminum ones I can find match.

What gives?:dunno

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Negative on the AC

Id like to add it some day though. Does that mean I would have to change radiators again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat