Aluminum radiator upgrade

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biting the bullit on this , and ordered an Aluminum Radiator, a Champian brand. Ordered it yesterday. My 1970 F-350 has used a brass rad for years but, the last repair didnt take well. Upper tank leaking at the seam. Rad shops around here , a canadian border town arent always up to the task, or, cost a lot. For 305$ US shipped, i cant do better here getting it rebuilt. Its a 3 core i ordered. Im running a 7.3, idi, but still believe this will handle the cooling I need. And, i can add fans if needed. Im using the factory clutch fan, which pulls a lot of air.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 9

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you research this here first?
The replacement radiator situation seems to go back and forth...
Here's mine.

Of course being a snowback lander you may not need as much btu removal...
:sorry:

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, ive done my research, i figured a 3 core minumum. And always kee the grounds clean, and extra grounds too. The best heat sink is Aluminum, and, as a mechanic/technician ive been around hd rad shops plenty. All the newer semi's use aluminum/plastic rads, from the factory, easy to rebuild, and any properly tig welded tanks are sufficiant for fuel and coolant, pressure tanks. The warrenty was a bearingon my choice as well. In the end, we learn by doing

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how you like it, I'm half tempted to install a mishimoto's version even though mine is doing ok (looking kinda rusty at bottom though)

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the box. You will need it to send it back under warranty. I put 3 in my truck in about 8 years. No electrolysis,grounds good. Fresh coolant with distilled water every year and they still leak. I have the 4th warranty one in my garage,brand new and wrapped up.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres that possibility, lol. Seems there may be a root pŕoblem you maye missing. Pressure surging, from vapour locking air. Ince I started using a motorcraft thermostat, and freeing up the popit valve ball, next to the thermostat, ive had less anomolys. gremlins, persae

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the box. You will need it to send it back under warranty. I put 3 in my truck in about 8 years. No electrolysis,grounds good. Fresh coolant with distilled water every year and they still leak. I have the 4th warranty one in my garage,brand new and wrapped up.
Theres that possibility, lol. Seems there may be a root pŕoblem you maye missing. Pressure surging, from vapour locking air. Ince I started using a motorcraft thermostat, and freeing up the popit valve ball, next to the thermostat, ive had less anomolys. gremlins, persae
I've read that the Champion's aren't welded to square very well, and just in general are of lower quality(hence the price), but that it may be possible to mount them in a way that allows more flex from vibrations and being out of square. Just a thought someone else had. I think they mentioned using rubber bushing up top and using nylock through-bolts and never fully tightening them down, instead of bolting it rigidly into the core support like OE.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine for a little over a year with no complaints. My friend bought one of their damaged in shipping ones because they’re a lot cheaper and it was fine too, just had some bent fins.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Copper alloy is considerably superior to aluminum for heat and electrical transfer. The aluminum alloy used in radiators is inferior in every other way that matters. It's only benefits are that its cheap, light weight, and easier to machine.

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked it up, but I think thermal conductivity of copper is something like twice what aluminum is.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent looked it up either, but ive worked with it. All new transport vehicles, use aluminum for radiators, those are big hp ratings. The 3 core ive ordered is good to 700 hp. my factory rad did fine keeping up with my diesel , until it didn't. its a cross up between old versus new. ill be testing it, nd reporting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86