Altitude affecting Turbo IDIT causing smoke?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I picked up a '94 IDIT last week. Bone stock. The altitude where I did my test drive was 157' asl. Could not make it smoke.

Drove it home 870 miles with a big grin on my face. Averaged 15.7 mpg, which isn't too bad considering the bed was loaded and the speed was 80-82mph for most of the trip. It didn't burn a drop off oil.

Home is at about 5200 feet asl. For some reason it will now puff large black cloud of smoke when I take off hard and between shifts until 3rd gear.

My question is does altitude affect things enough that I need to turn down the fuel, or am I needing to look at the turbo?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes it will smoke more at altitude. When you take off you are at atmospheric pressure which explains the smoke, and in between shifts boost falls off. It wouldn't hurt to check the turbo over but this is very common. You can look into the smoke puff eliminator device that hypermax sells, or just take it easier when off boost. Turning down the pump will reduce smoke but it will also reduce overall power.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Ok. I definitely need to get some gauges in this thing. Not having them drives me nuts.

I'm thinking that after I get gauges I could try wiring the wastegate closed to see if it's hanging open and not allowing the proper spool up on the bottom end.

I can't have any smoke coming out. They have set up "tattle" hotlines just to report smoking diesels... That's why I was really happy that it ran so clean during the test drive.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oh I hear you on that. I have to be careful when I take off, if I lug it even without throttle it will smoke on its own. Just the nature of the beast I suppose. Looks like hypermax wants ~$300 for their device.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has the original injection pump it will have an adjustment for low rpm fueling that you could trim some smoke out with. I would also check the air filter and replace the fuel filter so you know they have been serviced, both of those can cause the truck to smoke more than normal.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I crawled under the truck yesterday looking for any previous installation ports for egt gauge. Found that this truck still has the flattened downpipe and 2.5" v-band clamp.

I'm going to order the 3" powerstroke downpipe and modify the turbo outlet to 3" and see if that helps get the turbo spooling any quicker.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the most power out of the truck without smoke, Hypermax's smoke puff limiter is what you want.
It's an "aneroid" for the IP - basically limits maximum fuel(metering valve travel) based on boost. No boost = less fuel.
And it's fully adjustable.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was going to say that its amazing we went through all the years of IDI's without one, since the VE Cummins has their version (AFC) but then realized that until 93 there was no positive pressure to reference for an aneroid (and that was optional, IDIT).

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our altitude will definitely affect the smoke production, especially at low boost.

What is your timing set to? I'm nearly positive it could stand to be advanced a couple degrees. I am in Davis County and have a timing setup if you need.

Being that I'm in Davis, I've played all the emission games. :)

I am also on RME.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Our altitude will definitely affect the smoke production, especially at low boost.

What is your timing set to? I'm nearly positive it could stand to be advanced a couple degrees. I am in Davis County and have a timing setup if you need.

Being that I'm in Davis, I've played all the emission games. :)

I am also on RME.

I've been a member at RME and friend with Greg forever! I don't post much there.

I honestly have not had time to look at the timing. I also have a Kent Moore timing tool, but I haven't used it in years.

I'm in Utah County- they just re-instituted diesel emissions testing on '96 and newer; likely because some of the locals abused it. I saw a guy black out an intersection on State Street so badly that nobody could see to drive through it for a full cycle of the stoplights!!

The truck feels a little down on power, so likely timing is off for the altitude. It came with a huge book of receipts which show that the IP and injectors were replaced in 2006.

At Sea level it pulled hard, but the pump seemed to cut fuel early at about 2700 rpm. It doesn't do that up here and seems to pull up to 3100 or so.

I don't know if this would affect things, but the first fill up as I left Oregon was B20. Two complete fill ups after that with regular ULSD.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B20 would burn cleaner since the cetane is higher than D2. It would also have a timing advance effect.
It is also slightly less energy dense.

For fun, jump 12V to the advance solenoid and take it for a ride, noting smoke output.

From Mill Creek to Utah County?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's see some pictures and specs on this new, old dog.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Yep. Jumped into the land of Blue and crazy minivans... But just barely.

Pulled the air filter and fuel filter. Thought I had a fuel filter, but it must fit the Van IDI.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's awesome to see a bunch of guys from Utah I travel back home a lot and grew up in southern Utah and in there all the time there with my idi I learned there is also a lot of hard pulling that being said at 5600 feet elevation you can expect a bit of smoke but you got to rember the idi is a big air pumps more air in an more air out also if not pulling I keep my right foot in granny mode till I need the fuel usually keeps the local deputy happy but I'm always happy to have that fuel when it's needed