Alrighty boys - can't shift into gear

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Clutch master comparison

I hope this helps you out for your request.

On the LEFT angled studs is the 87 up IIRC........ and on the RIGHT is 86 down
You must be registered for see images attach

Hope this clears this up ....

Al

So mine looks more like the one on the right. Holes are straight up and down.
It looks as if mine would swivel/twist also. I tried disassembling it, but that snap ring snapped (no pun) one of the ends off.
And that is off my 94 powerstroke.

Attachments

• IMG_20130122_235019.jpg
    IMG_20130122_235019.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20130122_235044.jpg
    IMG_20130122_235044.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 4

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you built your bracket to mount the master to did you by chance space the master off the firewall too far into the engine compartment so now the clutch pedal doesn't push the rod into the master far enough to actuate the clutch?

The distance should be pretty close. If not, I can't imagine that slight of a difference making the pedal completely dead, would it? The push rod is adjustable I believe. but i hadn't played with it because I imagined if it was the issue, I would have SOME pedal, just not enough towards the end..am I right with that thinking?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the pedal is just pushing the pushrod into the master and pulling it out again, without actually pushing the piston? Try removing the pushrod from the arm again, and push it into the master and make sure it's in as far as it will go. Then see how the eyelet lines up with the knob/pin on the arm.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would think it would still pop the pedal up. At least halfway.
Madpoque and junk, did you miss where he said the master has no resistance at all by hand?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it would still pop the pedal up. At least halfway.
The way the spring on the pedal arm works, if there's no resistance, for example when the arm is disconnected from the rod, and you push the pedal, the spring snaps it to the floor and leaves it there.
Madpoque and junk, did you miss where he said the master has no resistance at all by hand?
I find no such mention.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Alright alright alright!!! I went back and checked before I typed that bud.
it just sucks right to the floor, no pressure what so ever. The slave is and has been connected, pushing on the external clutch release lever feels normal, plenty of resistence there. But pushing the clutch pedal by hand back and fourth doesn't do anything to budge the slave.

Besides, with or without the bushing, there still won't be any pressure so there's a bigger issue at hand somewhere. :(

Visually wanted it, the pushrod goes into the MC fine when the pedal is depressed, just seems like the MC might as well be empty..theres no pressure. slave has pressure.

The above "wanted" I believe should be "watched."

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, you got it right jasper. Just mistyped the word.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But are you sure you're moving the _piston_ in the MC when you put the pushrod in there? The piston is recessed quite a ways into the cylinder; the pushrod doesn't make contact with it until it's several inches in. So you're able to put the pushrod in, feel it make contact with the piston, then move the piston via the pushrod with your hand?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, haven't touched it in a few days. Waiting on my reinforcement brackets from mel. Should be here any day now. I'll get everything together and try to bleed the crap out of the MC and see what happens. Before ordering from mel i did order the Ford bracket from a dealer, and UPS delivered it to the wrong house...and they basically told me and the ford dealer "too bad".. I would have used jason's bracket over the ford bracket, but i still paid for the ford one so i would have liked to have it.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a 2013 maxima as a rental, thing hauls ass!

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they only come in auto :( if you turn traction control off it will. i'm surprised how quick it is. There's a place that rents lifted jeeps in town, but they didn't have any left when i called lol. my last rental was a brand new impala...hauled two deere in the trunk if you are ever curious on trunk space on them lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online