Air horns

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to a scrap yard and there was a semi with the air horn still on the roof. I took that, the lanyard valve, a whole bunch of plumbing, manifolds, valves and gauges. In the same scrapyard I found a semi truck air tank. I mounted the tank to the frame of my F250 under the cab (lots of room in there) with home made super-sized muffler clamps. I ran lines to each running board and have an air line quick disconnect on each side for filling up from my home compressor. I also have air bags in the rear of my truck and I have the inflation valves (just like a tire valve) in each running board, right by the air tank fill valve. So if I need to pump up the airbags I just do it from the tank.
I installed the air horn behind the front bumper (all stealth like so nobody sees it) and it is hooked up to a 12v valve with a switch on my gear shifter (very handy). I maintained the stock horns, but for the real idiots they get a blast of semi truck goodness. I got the 12v air valve at princess auto, which is the canadian equivalent of harbor freight.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I know this is gonna sounds redneck.....but ain't that wild! I got a set of dixie horns in the KW ready to be bolted on....and the new back up alarm showed up at the boss' place today (move, truck backing up, move, truck backing up)

i have a Dixie horn wired up on my truck too :sly its 108 or 118 Db i cant remember which but i have it mounted on the fram rail on the pass sideand the compressor is in an AL battery box bolted to the bed :D;Sweet

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
i have a Dixie horn wired up on my truck too :sly its 108 or 118 Db i cant remember which but i have it mounted on the fram rail on the pass sideand the compressor is in an AL battery box bolted to the bed :D;Sweet

I have a Dixie horn in my 89 still lol They rock lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had 910 series Hadley's on the Moose Truck for a quarter of a century and have always like their tone, and they hold up well and are easily repaired. Check em' out. I got them through J.C. Whitney way back in the 80's. I got their little compressor too. Works OK for just running horns, but not enough CFM for anything else.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 910 series Hadley's on the Moose Truck for a quarter of a century and have always like their tone, and they hold up well and are easily repaired. Check em' out. I got them through J.C. Whitney way back in the 80's. I got their little compressor too. Works OK for just running horns, but not enough CFM for anything else.

Do you have a tank/reservoir; or, does the compressor just kick on to blow the horns ?? :dunno

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
I picked up a long set of double trumpets YEARS AGO(had to be cause the truck was still running!) for White Lightning.I ordered them direct from the manufacturer in Tiawan along with pull valves,compressor and tank.Compressor was ok until I had to change a blown out air line and the head cracked when I accidentally let the fitting turn instead of the nut.I changed the compressor to a Thomas.It is a tiny little thing.Barely big enough for the job.I would suggest looking at a 12V thomas with a 100% duty cycle.It is well worth the extra money.The take is around 2 or 3 gallon and everything is mounted behind the seat with the lines running up the rear pillar behind the trim and under the headliner with the chain and valve mounted at the windshild and the lose end of the chain hook to the dome light screw.

Attachments

• Image001 (2).jpg
    Image001 (2).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 15

gatorman21218

Reaction score

Thanks mel those sound good from what ive seen on the youtube. What will a set of those run you? The website doesnt list a price and theres a saying "if you have to ask you cant afford it".

I still am intreagued by the york air compressor. Anyone know where to get one? how to put it on?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yorks came standard on a lot of 70s fords.Check them out in the junk yard.You want a 710 York.10CI displacement.Will pump up a tank REAL fast.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
210 ?? 710 ?? Where on the unit do we see this number ??

For many many years, I have had a YORK on a home-made 110-volt compressor.

It is powered by an old decrepit-looking clothes-dryer motor, maybe 1/4-HP if that much.

Whoever built the compressor somehow welded up the clutch to be engaged at all times.

If I had a better 110-volt compressor, and a good working clutch were to fall out of the sky, I might be tempted to mount that unit on my engine.

What would be the outcome if I mounted a belt-pulley on the drive-shaft and mounted the YORK under the truck, or maybe let the belt through a slot in the flat and put the YORK in the tool-box ?? ;Really

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I didn't want to add a compressor and all, so I found a set of old 40s-50s electric horns. One trumpet is 19" long and the other is 22" and they are loud! Maybe not air horn loud, but close. Only ran about $25 total.