Air horns

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I grabbed my Hadleys from a scrap dealer, and my tank from an old semi trailer. I just use a quick disconnect and fill the tank from home. Would like to add an air compressor, but still can't justify the cost of them to just "toot my own horn".

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You think it's bad in an IDI....Try shifting 9 gears out of a red light with 15 cars behind you, go one city block and then have all them 15 cars pile in front of you and slam the brakes on....while you have 60 000 pounds on board. It REALLY ****** you off then!!!

Air horns, un-muffled jake brakes, and a PISSED OFF redneck hollering at them, sometimes getting out of the truck to confront them don't make a difference.

Honnestly, it feels good to half deafen them, but you know what....they won't learn. ******** are going to be ******** (pardon my French) and no matter what you put on the truck to try and change that, nothing is going to work lol.

Yeah it ****** me off to! Most times they look at you like your the ******* when you hit the horn inches from there door or bumper.:dunno
Last week I had a guy in a shiny Black SUV pull up on my right side at a four way stop while I was swingin wide to make a tight right corner and he made a LEFT TURN right infront of me as I was starting to move! Had my signal on too! ***!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Russ that idea aint half bad. I could do "half" my setup - leave the york for another day. fill up a big airtank with shop air and fill it up as needed.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Also don't fall for the false advertising and BS you see with super loud 130DB,150DB blaa blaa crap.They are flat out Lies.And I will tell that to anyone in front of their company lawyers.I would put the loudest horn on the open market to be in the 80DB range.A locomotive horn is only 95DB and the loudest man made mechanical sound ever produced on earth was a hemi powered air raid siren in NY at 170DB.150 DB is lethal to a human.Enough to stop your heart.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Nice russ. How do you toot the horn? Ive always wanted a lanyard style, like the kids do on school buses as they pass a semi. And I know "chrome dont get you home" but a pair of chrome horns would at least get me there a little faster if I put them on the roof of the cab.

That air siren is amazing. I cant imagine living in a time where there is constant fear of nuclear holocaust. Thank God for Reagan!!!!!

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Also don't fall for the false advertising and BS you see with super loud 130DB,150DB blaa blaa crap.They are flat out Lies.And I will tell that to anyone in front of their company lawyers.I would put the loudest horn on the open market to be in the 80DB range.A locomotive horn is only 95DB and the loudest man made mechanical sound ever produced on earth was a hemi powered air raid siren in NY at 170DB.150 DB is lethal to a human.Enough to stop your heart.

the pioneer excusrion 2 years ago hit 180 db 180.1 when i saw it the crazy thing is since its totaly sealed you couldnt really hear or even feel much.

and my omega triple trumpet horns on my show truck at 180 psi are well over 130 db they are only rated for 80 psi im putting 100 more psi to them than recommed but ever had a problem

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Someone lied to you on the horns hittin 130 or your meter doesn't read true Sound DB(Like the noise competition one don't).

Highridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had these under my truck for a few years. Had them wired to a solenoid wired to the steering wheel button with a switch so I could use the regular horn. Wouldnt wan't anyone scaring themselves when they do the inspection lol. I have a smaller Viar 12v compressor with a 1 1/2 gallon tank and it worked great! I've got these for sale on CL, hoping to sell them and then get one of them train horns.

Attachments

• DSCI0488.jpg
    DSCI0488.jpg
    962.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCI0487.jpg
    DSCI0487.jpg
    968.4 KB · Views: 1

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Ahhh,hornbastards. The lowest of the lowest piece of trash in the horn world. Anyone and everyone tied up with those pieces of sh** are instantly banned from every collector group out there for life. If you don't believe me. Show up at a horn honk rally with hornblasters on your cloths or vehicle.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some more info of the use of a York for onboard air.

I had a dual groove pulley on the PS pump when I got the truck. I think the part number is E3TC3D673BA.

The York is a good compressor. It is a 10.3 cubic inch (169cc) twin cylinder compressor. But, there are smaller displacment Yorks out there. 7.3 CFM at 2000 (compressor) RPM.;Sweet

You need to modifiy the York to prevent excess oil loss through the discharge line. Here's a good photo of the mod.
You must be registered for see images attach

HERE is a good link to York infomation.....but it's not IDI specific.

Here are more photos.........I should do a Tech Article on this one day...:dunno
You must be registered for see images

I love this mod and will put one on every truck I own in the future.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath (or anyone who's added a York), here's a question for you that you might consider silly...if you switched to hydroboost and ditched the vacuum pump in favor of an electric vacuum pump for the climate control and cruise control, do you think there's any way to fit the York in the area where the vacuum pump was originally located (on a truck with V-belts)?

It's been so long since I've seen a York with my own eyes that I can't for the life of me remember how big it is. Also, what orientation(s) can it be mounted at without compromising the oil system?

I've been wanting to add a York for years (for air horns and hopefully for the ability to run air tools), but I'm a bit concerned that the mounting point outboard of the a/c compressor might get in the way of an intercooler pipe, and I don't know where else I could put it without sacrificing my air conditioning (which is something I'm not willing to do)...

Don't laugh too hard ;) thanks!!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath (or anyone who's added a York), here's a question for you that you might consider silly...if you switched to hydroboost and ditched the vacuum pump in favor of an electric vacuum pump for the climate control and cruise control, do you think there's any way to fit the York in the area where the vacuum pump was originally located (on a truck with V-belts)?

It's been so long since I've seen a York with my own eyes that I can't for the life of me remember how big it is. Also, what orientation(s) can it be mounted at without compromising the oil system?

I've been wanting to add a York for years (for air horns and hopefully for the ability to run air tools), but I'm a bit concerned that the mounting point outboard of the a/c compressor might get in the way of an intercooler pipe, and I don't know where else I could put it without sacrificing my air conditioning (which is something I'm not willing to do)...

Don't laugh too hard ;) thanks!!

No laughing at all. Those are good questions. I'd have to have a good look at that area to see if it would be feasable. If it can fit in that space, I'd say sure. But, it is a good deal larger than the vaccum pump. It can be mounted vertically like mine or on it's side (left or right). Putting it down low where the vaccum pump is may get in the way of an IC, but, I'm not sure. I'm with you on the A/C must stay thing. I would have not used the York if I had to sacrifice my A/C.

Heath